Signs of water in lower unit oil ?

kyron4

Seaman
Just drain the oil from my lower unit on my Lightwin 3hp, to get ready for storage. Just wonder what are the signs that water has gotten in with the oil ? The new oil is honey colored and translusent , the old looks the same only less "clear" or a little less translusent. Also, does it matter if you fill it up with fresh oil now or in the spring ? -Thanks

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Signs of water in lower unit oil ?

Small amounts of water will make the oil cloudy or milky looking. In the absence of water it should remain as "clear and bright" as it was when new ... a little darker perhaps but that's all.

Now is the time to change the oil, not leave wet old oil in it all winter.

You should use new seals on the level and drain screws.

If there are signs of much water, esp if salt water, you should be investigating the cause and rectifying. It does not sound as though you have a major problem though.

kyron4

Seaman

I wouldn't say it looked "milky" only slightly cloudier than new oil. Any reason to worry ? What are the ill effects of a small amount of water in the oil ? -Thanks

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

I do two things to test for water in my LU oil. First, I only drain it after I let the motor sit for about a week, as opposed to running it and then draining the oil. This gives the mixture time for water to seperate and move to the bottom. Once I open the drain plug, this should be the first stuff to fall out. Next, I put the remains of my oil into a glass jar and let that sit for a couple of weeks to see if any water seperates and moves to the bottom of the jar.

I agree that since many LU oils come in different colors, looking for milkiness in a motor that has a very small leak, may not show you much. If you have a big leak, I doubt you would miss it any way to you do it.