Mercruiser 140 Engine Acceleration Problem Fixed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

whs109

Cadet
I have learned a great deal from these threads, and it is time to give back.

I have an '86 Mercruiser 140 which I inherited last summer from my father-in-law. The boat has always suffered from an acceleration problem ever since I have known, but runs fine once up on plane. I installed the Pertronix ignition kit which was a fantastic improvement at speed (no more smell of unburnt gas, no more smoke stains on the back of the boat, and significantly improved fuel economy...and yes the points/condenser which were replaced were relatively new and set by a factory mechanic). However this did not fix the acceleration problem :confused:

Since the acceleration problem was still there, I replaced the accelerator pump in the carburator. This still did not make any difference. :confused:

I replaced all the vacuum fuel lines to remove the possibility of vacuum leaks in the older lines. This did not make a difference. :confused:

I cleaned the fuel screen at the inlet to the carburator (which only had a few particles in it). This did not make a difference. :confused:

I had our reputable Mercruiser mechanic rebuild the carburator. This did not make a difference, and the acceleration problem became significantly worse after the carburator was rebuilt. He even said that he had to back out the fuel mixture screw 2.5 more turns than nomal to get the engine to run. :confused:

The reputable Mercruiser mechanic pulled the carburator apart and replaced the accelerator pump under warrantee since the accelerator pump was defective and a piece of the rubber fell off and blocked the intermediate jet in the carburator. That clue led him to find a bunch of other junk stuck in the intermediate jet along with the piece of accelerator pump.

Apparently the intermediate jet is the only piece of the carburator which is not serviceable (it is cast into the body of the carburator), and it is a very difficult place to see or access in the carburator. The intermediate jet is responsible for delivering fuel while accelerating in the intermediate RPM range...right where I was having my issue ~1500 - 2500 RPM.

So for all of those who also have the never-ending hunt for the mystery acceleration problem and have tried everything possible, check your intermediate jet in the carburator for debris and attempt to remove the debris. My Mercruiser 140 accerates like new now! :)

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercruiser 140 Engine Acceleration Problem Fixed!

can you describe where the intermediate jets are.
I know where the idle fuel mixture screws are and the main jets.
I have changed the main jets to lean out my engine because it was running to rich.

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like your reputable Mercrusier mechanic has a new reputation. NEVER heard of intermediate jets???? He found a bunch of junk plugging it?? I'd say that, that was the first time he's been inside that carb. It wasn't done the first time. His free warrantee work was him doing it for the first time. The first indication something was wrong was the turn the idle mixture screws out 2.5 MORE turns, comment. Beyond that, I'm glad that you got your boat running good.

whs109

Cadet

The intermediate jet is part of the casting of the carburator which moves the fuel from the accelerator pump to the throttle body upon activating the accelerator pump. The mechanic said this is location is hard to access. After he removed the small piece of rubber, he had to reach in further and pick out the remaining debris with a very small tool.

They showed me the faulty accelerator pump...which was OEM from Mercury Marine. It had not ripped off but the end of the rubber had separated from the main piece of the rubber on one side. Mercury Marine paid the warranty repair due to the faulty rubber.

alexpiana

Recruit

Man, I'm so glad I found this post, I'm having the same problem with my Mercruiser 3.0 carburator. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Status
Not open for further replies.