troubleshooting gauges

joleda

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Having never putting my 86 Bayliner 2150 in the water. How can I check all of the gauges to make sure they are functional before I put in water next spring? I have a AQ225 with 275 drive.
Dave

NYBo

Admiral
Re: troubleshooting gauges

Run it on "muffs". You'll be able see whether everything except the speedometer works.

joleda

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Could I use a 40 gal tank filled with 20 below windshield washer fluid? My speedometer is stuck on 30mph. Could that be a plugged tube?
Dave

fish_on_the_deck

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Could I use a 40 gal tank filled with 20 below windshield washer fluid?

curious here... why use windshield washer fluid not water?

try taking the tube off the back of the speedometer and see if it settles to zero... maybe?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Or just buy a $10 pair of muffs, hook up the hose and run it. No reason to waste 40 gallons of windshield washer fluid that is no better than water for this purpose. Once that fluid passes through the engine you couldn't use it in your vehicles because of the byproducts of combustion that are no mixed into it. Would smear the windshield in grand fashion. Here's a tip: When you "suspect" something is wrong, the logical thing to do is check it. If what you find still puzzles you THEN quiz the forum with your findings. Remember, we can't see your boat. Otherwise there are three possible answers that would come from the forum. 1) yes, 2) no, and 3) maybe -- which leaves you no closer to a solution than you were before.

joleda

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I plan on working over the winter and washer fluid would not freeze. That way I would not have to re-winterize.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Draining the system would again, not waste anything. Air doesn't freeze and I've seen lots of 20 below washer fluid frozen solid.