Bayliner Quality in the 1980's

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I have had this 1985 Bayliner 1600 Cuddy for a few years now. I bought it because the price was right, and the owner had it in a garage.

The boat has had a few mods over the last 3 years, as anyone who follows the "boat building" formum knows. Recently I have had the "pleasure" of doing a repower, and all the mods that go along with it. Some observations about this little 16 foot Cuddy Cabin from 1985:

1) The transom is a three panel design. The outside layer of fiberglass is a full 1/2" thick. The lower portion of the transom, where the drain is located, is 100% fiberglass and almost two inches thick. I only realized this when the drain plug was removed to re-seal and I mixed up epoxy to smear on the inside of the (assumed bare plywood) drain hole and found it to be solid resin/glass. Nice surprise.

2) The inside of the transom has a 1-1/2" diameter hole drilled through it to the fiberglass exterior dead center. I can only assume this is to check for water intrusion into the plywood. The inside of the transom has heavy fiberglass and gel coat up about 6-8 inches along its entire length. The upper half seems to have a light CSM layer applied.

3) Stringers: 100% fully encapsulated in fiberglass. The aft most section, where they meet the transom, have Knee Braces. The braces are also encapsulated in fiberglass.

4) The bulkheads (cross braces between stringers) are also covered in CSM and gel coat. All are well sealed.

5) The Cuddy floor has a lift up panel that exposes the keel. There is a PVC pipe in that cavity that extends through the bulkhead between the cabin and the cuddy, and lets any water drain out. It is well sealed with CSM and resin.

6) The floor is 5/8" plywood. Not the highest grade, as I found a few voids when cutting some out to lower the floor in one area. The plywood is coated in CSM and gel coat heavily about 2 feet from the transom, where water typically collects. Farther forward, the CSM and resin gets thin.

7) Holes were cut in the floor to inspect the foam on the outboard sides of each stringer. The foam is dry as a bone, all the way down to the outer hull. Access panels were installed in these locations to monitor water intrusion in the future.

8) The storage compartments under the V-birth are fully glassed in, and coated with gel coat, and then a layer of spatter paint. These compartments are dry as a bone, and super well fabricated. There are holes near the bottom of the compartments to let any water that might accumulate drain into the bilge.

9) The hull is a "stepped deep V" design, that cuts rough water like a Deep V, and get on plane like a shallow lake boat. A pretty high tech design on such a small boat. Back then, Bayliner had the best hull designs, and the best hull designers working for them.

All in all, the 1985 year was very good for the Capri 1600. That was just before Brunswick bought Bayliner and cut corners badly leading to rotten stringers and floors in short order. I suspect that the pre-1988 years are much better than the post 1987 years.

So, if anyone complains about the build quality of your Bayliner, just point out that there were some outstanding quality Bayliners produced before Brunswick screwed things up.

JMO

Mark

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Bayliner Quality in the 1980's

I sure wish my '88 had been built as well as your '85, Mark.

Bigprairie1

Commander

Its interesting hear about this kind of feedback. It is so contrary to what I would have believed...even though I have a 90' Bayliner, which seems to be pretty solid.
I always thought those years had major issues but apparently I shouldn't count them out so quick....amazing what rumour, gossip and negative marketing can do.;):)
BP:):cool:

biddle1950

Seaman Apprentice

it's great to hear something good about bayliner.
I love my 85 capri 1950. very solid boat.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I know that some years Bayliners were pretty poorly constructed, and having worked on my '85 Capri for a few years now, I am always amazed at why they got such a poor reputation.

They have made major strides in quality and reputation in the last 10 years. They were often the first to bring quality higher end boat materials into a price point boat. Such as coin vinyl flooring. They used Vinylester resins in gel coat going all the way back to the 80's, something that prevents osmosis blistering.

There are lower priced boats, and higher priced boats. I just want people to know that Bayliners did have quality build in many models and years.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

That's a mighty impressive project on your Bayliner there Mark!

I think when we're talking 20+ year old boats it's more about who owned it than who made it.

I'll have to replace floorboards and possibly transom some day on my 1989 Bayliner but other than that it's a great ride with no problems so far.

That said it's less solid than what you describe here.

2stroke1971

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im with ya! I have an 85 1950 with the 2.1 Volvo. LOVE it. Its a tank, and its great on gas.

sidenberg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just came across this post. I have a 1987 capri cuddy 1900, outboard force 125. Water had penetrated under the interior fiberglass skin in the bow section under the triangle cushion. Upon inspection the plywood was soaked. Worried that there was more water underneath the foam I cut a hole into the cabin floor and dug out foam underneath that front plywood bulkhead and happily found it to be dry at the bottom. The only wet area was the just below the plywood floor about 1/2 in down along the bottom edge of that plywood bulkhead which seems to be still in good condition. There is a small stringer maybe a 1 x1 that runs underneath the bulkhead that seems to be barewood, not coated. Do you think the 1987 model is built as described in Marks Post?