Want to eliminate any water in lower gear case

phoodieman

Seaman Apprentice
1967 RDSL-29 40 HP Johnson.

I have water in the lower gear case. I have the lower unit off so I want to change every seal as this older motor has probably not been serviced in 20 years. I recognize most of the seals but not all. As I see it, these are the places water can get in that I know of. 1. The drain/fill plugs. 2. The oil seal at the prop. 3. The drive shaft seal. 4. The spaghetti seal at the skeg. (I'm probably missing some). Will this kit take care of any leaks. (Assuming all the infrastructure is sound).

87607-33hp-Evinrude-outboards-1962-to-1970.jpg

phoodieman

Fry300

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Want to eliminate any water in lower gear case

There is also one on the shift rod under that brass bushing. You have to tap it out from the other side CAREFULLY with a 1/4 inch punch. There will be an oring under it.

phoodieman

Seaman Apprentice

So this kit should do it then?

Phoodieman

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When you're all done, make sure it's pressure & vacuum checked.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

The small fat one is the shifter O ring. It is one of the key ones as well as the prop shaft seal.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

It's #19 and #20 in this photo. And I have the entire parts manual if you want it. PM me with your request if so.

Hey, I just noticed they lisgt an "impeller repair kit" at the bottom which differs in part #'s from the impeller. Anyone know how they repaired em? Huh.

Attachments

• 38209100016im.jpg
    38209100016im.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 0