water leak in lower unit

FISHFINK

Seaman Apprentice
guys, i have a 1990 15hp honda 4 stroke.
i had a new water pump out in it a year ago, and ran the engine probably 10 times since then. when i got it back a year ago, and started it with the ear muffs hooked to it in my driveway, i noticed that some water was spitting out between the lower unit and the engine tail housing, where it bolts to it. i then asked a question on here if that is ok, and you guys, and my mechanic said it was nothing to worry about. you guys and the mechanic said it was just an exhaust leak.

last week i wanted to run the engine, like i do every 6 weeks or so, when i dont go out in it, to keep it in good running condition. the next day i noticed some lower unit oil leaking out between the lower unit surface where it bolts to the engine. i knew something was wrong, and figured i might have a water leak that was filling into the lower unit, making the level too high, and making it seep out. sure enough, i pulled the drain plug this afternoon and it is very milky. so i have a water leak.

question, what do you guys think the problem is ? is there a water tight gasket or something that goes on the water pump to keep water out of the lower unit oil ?
last year i was afraid to pull it apart, thinking the original bolts would be stuck, but since it has been apart now, if it aint too hard, i would like to save some labor costs and pull it apart myself. what all is involved to fix my problem ?
thanks much.

leonard

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: water leak in lower unit

First of all ,you will need to determine where this gearcase is leaking by virtue of a pressure and vaccume test.You may have more than one leak.The driveshaft seal is no big deal.CAREFULLY,pry out the old plastic seal carrier and replace it with a new one with new seals,oring,and gaskets.

FISHFINK

Seaman Apprentice
Re: water leak in lower unit

thanks hondon...
i decided to take it back to the mechanic. he pulled the lower unit apart while i was standing there. didnt seem bad at all, except for unscrewing the shift linkage. he said that has to be spot on or the shifting will be erratic.

anyway, he pulled the water impeller and housing, and the seal under it was torn. he will order the part and hopefully have it back together by next weekend.

thanks again.