200EFI stuck in reverse - opinions?

blueranger

Recruit
1998 200EFI is stuck in reverse - happened when coasting in to the dock - shifted into reverse to stop and it stayed there. It's on a Ranger with a flush-mount Quicksilver control. The throttle functions when moved in both directions, but it won't shift out of reverse. Thankfully, the motor did restart so I was able to limp to the ramp in reverse. Looking under the hood, it didn't seem like anything was happening at the cable ends when I shifted it. Looking for an opinion on what the likely cause is and whether it might be something I can fix myself - I've changed the water pump, but I tend to leave the engine internals to the pros.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 200EFI stuck in reverse - opinions?

Did the shift cable break?

With the motor OFF, disconnect the shift cable at the motor, watch the cablel end while someone shifts the control. does it move?

Grab onto the disconnected cable slide and pull, it may pull right on out of the sheath.

blueranger

Recruit
Re: 200EFI stuck in reverse - opinions?

Thanks, exactly the kind of simple diagnostic test I was looking for. Boat is 225 miles away right now, but I'll try that first thing when I get back up there next weekend. Definitely wasn't moving the shift linkage at the cable end, and didn't feel any abnormal resistance when moving the control, if anything maybe less than normal. If that's the issue, it sounds like something I can probably tackle.