19' Maxum Bowrider Project

DanielR

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm always up for custom projects.
This time it's the 1992 Maxum.
My plan involves restoring interior, not by replacing/renewing existing parts but rather redesigning existing layout. Currently I have two back-to-back seats and two seats on either side of the engine. When I will end up after I finish this project I expect to have two bolster seats and bench in the back. Gelcoat floor with snap-in carpets and new electronics. Plus I will shoot new gelcoat to refresh existing yellowish coat.

For introductions:
DSC_0926.jpg

Existing interior. I reupholstered one back-to-back seat. It was hell of a job since I didnt have walking foot sewing machine. You can see which one it is by the lack of Maxum symbol on the cushion.
DSC_0991.jpg

Boat as it sits for today.
Within one day I was able to pull engine out, and gut almost entire interior.
DSC_1015.jpg

Engine in the shed (Im not fortunate to have garage). It will get closed cooling system in few weeks.
DSC_1020.jpg

My next step would be to continue removing existing interior, remove seat boxes and rip the plywood to examine condition of the foam underneath it. I have a soft spot on port side where everyone makes first step walking into the boat.

Thanks for looking.

captmello

Captain
Re: 19' Maxum Bowrider Project

Looks like a big Job. Nice looking boat. I have considered the change of seating layout as well. I'll be watching.:)

One other note, you may want to check in the I/O forum regarding the closed cooling. I've read that you may have trouble converting a used engine as the internals have already began to develop rust and they may cause your new heat exchanger to clog up. I'm no pro, but I would look into a bit more before spending the money. Might have spent it already however.:rolleyes::)

Good luck!!!

DanielR

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Removing seat boxes became big pain in the @ss.
I decide to tackle this with newly purchased oscillating dremel to find out its more of a finishing tool for small jobs. Jumped to grinder and jigsaw. Some joints have thick layer of fiberglass making it hard to cut.
Next it will be sawzall allowing me to cut into the corners. Ill find out tomorrow.

As for closed cooling the current engine, 350 small block, has only 15hrs on it. It has aluminum Edelbrock Pefrormer manifold (with 2 zinc anodes and painted water passages) but I know it wont last long without closed cooling in the salt water based on the condition of the anodes once i pulled them out.

aphroDJiac

Recruit

I too am in the same project of fully redesigning my open bow ski boat with from your description a similar layout. Will be looking forward with your updated pics :).

DanielR

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am considering shooting fresh white coat of gelcoat on inside/outside of a boat. I have painted cars and did body work, so Im familiar with the process.
I did work on fiberglass before, doing molds of subwoofer enclosures/mirrors/etc, but I never sprayed the gelcoat.
Since I will be doing the interior I want the gelcoat to match inside and out. Knowing that outside is yellowed due to many years of exposure, some cracks and nicks, I rather respray it than try to match it. Im doing all that work, might as well do it right.
Questions I have:
1. What gun tips do I need to shoot the gelcoat, and what would be best way diluting it so it goes through the gun?
2. If I spray it over existing (Id say sanded down to 400grit) how many coats is recommended. Or, is it better for me to sand it as much of existing to avoid buildup and future cracking?
3. What is the recommended filler for marine applications?

Thanks

DanielR

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Searching info about spraying gelcoat continues...
Few goodies came today.

DSC_1021.jpg

DSC_1024.jpg

Steering is Teleflex Safe-T which i should be able to find quick connect cable easily. Gauges and switches will be nice upgrade over existing ones. I will try to fit the whole console in place of existing, but floor comes first.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Those seats are awesome!

zach103

Commander

Oh wow whats your address ill take those seats off your hands they look like the wrong color :)

dkillianjr

Cadet

Looks great so far Daniel! I wish I could help with the gelcoat question.

I am in the process of doing the exact same thing as you to my 93 crownline. It had the exact same original layout as you. Where did you get the seats from? They really look sharp!

Dave

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

I did mine, same model as your but year is 1992. Use a sawzall but be carefull when cutting at the side or else you would cut through the bottom. Did that to mine ;) but patch it so it is OK now. Also buy a gallon of expandable foam to fill in all the empty place if you are not going to take out all the old foam (got mine from us composite). You also should reinforce the stringer so that you can screw the captain's chair to the floor. I did mine (see picture) and the fibreglass the plywood to the hull and triple layer it for strenght. make sure you measure where you want to put the seat so that when you put the floor you know where the brace are and can screw the seat pedestal to the floor and to the brace. Post picture on your progress so that we can help you. Hope this help.

Attachments

• IMG_2447a.jpg
    IMG_2447a.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 0

DanielR

Petty Officer 3rd Class

About the seats, I was initially planning to purchase seats from greatlakesskipper.com. I sent them an email asking if they have better photo of seats they were selling, (it was $699 +100 shipping). I didnt want to buy seats based on miniature photograph taken 5 years ago. They never got back to me.
So they lost the customer and I was going to buy A lot of items from them.

Instead, went on eBay, found those seat off a showroom boat (Four Winns). I bought the steering console from same people, got all the packages on the 3rd day... couldnt be happier.

zach103

Commander

how much did you get them for if you dont mind me asking

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

IMO .. buff it out :)

Use it.

Cracks on those tower mounts will happen again and again if not dealt with.

Your gel is more then good at this point..you just have to clean it up.

I Dont see any reason for you to paint or gel the Inside cap/deck. .. .. really anything for that matter :).

YD.

PS. If you wanted to use gel..120 grit is max for prep not 400 g.

DanielR

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Made progress this weekend on the boat.

The good:
Managed to remove wake tower, windshield, half the dashboard, fuel tank and 3/4 of the deck.

The bad:
-stringer on the portside is wet w/ fiberglass completely delaminated.
-found that lower portion of my engine mounts is wet inside (drilled 5/16 holes to inspect)

Since the engine mount core is wet, Im thinking of stripping fiberglass off and letting it dry. Once I strip the glass I can further inspect the extent of water intrusion.

I'm still undecided whether to paint or gelcoat the boat.
Each has its pro's/con's.
Since it's only 19ft boat there isnt that much surface to paint.

If I decide to paint, it would be with Awlcraft 2000.
Pros:
-I can use existing spray setup to paint it
-It can be sanded/buffed
-Good looking end result
Cons:
-Materials get expensive easily. Paint + primer is much more then gelcoat
-Process compares to spraying car with two stage paint. Prime/Block/Base

Gelcoat Pros:
-Very forgiving since any 'mess ups' can be sanded off
-It can be applied directly over existing gelcoat
-Less expensive of two options
Cons:
-Will need to purchase spray/pot to shoot the gelcoat
-I'm not familiar with gelcoat on bigger scale but I imagine it is really difficult to get smooth finish especially in the areas inside, corners, around deck
-Time consuming, due to heavier coats/orange peel

Concluding:
With awlcraft I would get better finish, especially in the tight areas.
It comes down to either time or money.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

"Since the engine mount core is wet, Im thinking of stripping fiberglass off and letting it dry. Once I strip the glass I can further inspect the extent of water intrusion."

You DO know that you MUST replace the stringers and the motor mount. They will NOT dry out. They will ROT. You really need to post some pics of what you are dealing with if you wan the guys on here to be able to help you with all of the details for your rebuild.

I'm just sayin...:D

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very nice project! Looks like your taking it on good! Best of luck!

DanielR

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks all.

I dont have much good news today.
Found that my mounts are wet. Removed the fiberglass to find pretty much wood that needs to be replaced. All caused by water which built up underneath the fuel tank, slowly destroying everything on its way. First, the wall separating tank from engine bay then attached to it solid wood mounts.
I believe if the solid wood was first soaked in the resin or glassed separately water would never travel far to cause that issue.

DSC_1031.jpg

DSC_1038.jpg

Time to find friendly lumber yard to do proper repairs.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Do you have some pics of the damaged surfaces of the gel ?

I still think prep,prime and Paint might be a bit overkill.

You forgot one con on Paint .. Once you Paint you can never go back to gel ( Unless you sand it OFF ) .

Gel is The most durable of ALL the coatings and Way more simple to repair.

Ive done alot of awlcraft m8..and I would strongly recommend you Dont squirt this on your boat. For Many reasons.

Unless Im getting What your trying to spray ( full cap with cockpit..or just the snap line down to the rub rail ). But Prime and paint your Whole Deck is not a Good idea... IMHO..

Sorry about your stringers/mounts :( .

YD.