Flywheel woodruff kwey replacement

kfa4303

Banned
Hello all. Does anyone know where I might find a flywheel woodruff key for a 1966 33 hp Johnson? Are they universal (i.e. can I scavenge one off of another Johnson)? Do non-Johnson dealerships carry them, or auto parts stores? Just put on new points and fired up motor for the first time in years, but didn't have flywheel nut tight enough when I fired it up, so the key broke (drrrrrr....). Thanks for any help.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Flywheel woodruff kwey replacement

I would say go to a BRP dlr and get the orginal key. Keys are cheaper than spread slots on c/s's and flywheels. Don't forget the proper torque this time. LOL.

kfa4303

Banned

Thanks Bobbie, but I'm not familiar with "BRP" dealerships (BRP=?). Is that a brand of outboard? Seems like all I can find are Mercury dealers in my area of North Florida (Tallahassee). Sorry for such basic question, but I'm stil a newbie. Thanks again for the help.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

BRP took over OMC So an Evinrude/Johnson dealer should have the part.
The purpose of the key is to position the flywheel.The nut secures it.
100-105 ft lbs.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

BRP is Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. The people who took over the OMC (Outboard Marine Corporation) brands including Evinrude and Johnson

Johnson name now dropped but the Evinrude name lives on. Search for Evinrude dealers

Find a dealer: http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Find-a-Dealer

Original part number is 307480 and has been used by many models up to 1991 at least. It is still listed and available at just under $4

The crankshaft is no longer available so don't wreck that

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class

Auto zone sells a pack of keys of various sizes that may work. They were down the aisle that has the "help" parts hanging up. There was one in there for my 96 88 special and it has been on there for some time with no problems.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Try Bellflower Marine in Tallahassee. Hopefully there're still in business. There's also Shield's marine in St Marks.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Stick with the 307480 key as Vic States. Note that the flat portion of the key is to be installed vertically with the engine, NOT with the taper of the crankshaft!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Stick with the 307480 key as Vic States. Note that the flat portion of the key is to be installed vertically with the engine, NOT with the taper of the crankshaft!

Not got one in your remaining stock of parts ?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

No, sorry..... sold out of them a long time ago.