Resin or Paint?

DC20

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a fiberglass deck but underneath my sink area is plywood. It sometimes gets wet washing the boat down and I was wondering if I should seal it as it pools a bit right there. Should I just coat it with resign or some type of white paint (I have some Gripper)?
Took the pic of the internet but the plywood is behind the cooler area if you were to remove the plastic insert.

Attachments

• Cooler.jpg
    Cooler.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1
  • boat floor 2.jpg
    boat floor 2.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 1
  • boatfloor3.jpg
    boatfloor3.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1
  • boatfloor.jpg
    boatfloor.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

twkjr 1250

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Resign or Paint?

hidc20 pic looks like it has a insert for that space which is your best way to go. if yours is set up differant a actual pic would be better . dont know how the edges are or are not sealed .

DC20

Petty Officer 1st Class

More pics added from the top looking down behind the cooler area.
Should I even worry about this area ponding water when I wash down the boat?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Resin or Paint?

DC20.. Is this a newer boat ? I would think that the factory has a solution if you called them.

If not then you might just put some silicone in the "pool" spots ..just the spots to let the water drain out do the bilge.

I dont know how the water is gettin in there in the first place though :) .

YD.

DC20

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a trash bin (bin is removable) opening at the top. When I wash down the boat water gets down there, it's very difficult to dry it out. Don't know if over time it would rot the plywood. So that's why I was wondering if i should seal it somehow. It's a new to me 2005 boat.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I would think that if the wood is sealed with glass/resin then another coating isnt needed.

You could try to silycone on the trash bucket..or just dont hit the area too much with water :) .

YD.

DC20

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well here is my finished project. Two coats of gripper. The floor is at least sealed now and level enough to drain better.

Attachments

• paintedfloor2.jpg
    paintedfloor2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 0
  • paintedfloor.jpg
    paintedfloor.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 0