Pulled the wrong drain plug ??!? :(

Vapour1ze

Seaman
So I found the one on top, the flathead one and I assumed this was the one for the bottom where I drain it from because there wasn't one on the other side so I figured it was the right one, like on my 9.9 johnson, it is the same, but I later come to find there is another one identical to the top screw on the very bottom of the lower unit, looking from underneath it i was like CRAP, thats why its not filling up right, so I went to put the screw back in to the wrong one that I pulled and it will not go back in for the life of me, the smooth shaft part before the threads will not slide in for some reason and I can barely see in because the oil is still oozing out kind of, am I screwed? Pics ...

003.jpg

002.jpg

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pulled the wrong drain plug ??!? :(

you pulled the shift pivot pin, BAD.
usually requires the lower to be removed,placed upside down and the lower case split to insure the cradle is correctly positioned in the shift fork and to reposition the shift fork to insert the pin.
if both shift arms are not correctly position in the cradle it may shift,for a short time, before it destructs.
your not the only one ever done that.
I used to get 10+ a year that way :).

Vapour1ze

Seaman

wow so now what, I was really planning on trying this thing on the river today, I'm so mad, and I have no money to mess with this

Vapour1ze

Seaman

nevermind I got it, I forgot I had it in forward at first and moved it to neutral while I was draining it , put it back in forward they both lined up, and I got every gear back and its good.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

you will in a couple runs.
it will either work or smoke the lever forks,cradle and shift clutch.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Now that the pin was out, you'll need to replace the rubber washer on the seat of the pin...gearcase might start leaking now since you've disrupted the old seal.

Mas

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

Judging by the first pic it is already leaking at least slightly.