control cables

ray914

Seaman
Just asking what are the best control cables transmission/throttle for mercury 75 hp outboard? It's on a 19' carolina skiff with center console? I'm having problems with the friction on the turns. I've tried to make the longest turns or large radius's with cable now? I know they've got to have a better cable than the basic teleflex or do they?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: control cables

If you have friction causing problems, I would say, you need to look at routing as well as how old the cables are, it sounds like they might be building up some corrosion in them.

I have been running teleflex/Morse for over 3 decades now and have never had a problem with them. When I was stationed in Hawaii, I became friends with many Charter boat Captains and they used Teleflex equipment as well.

ray914

Seaman

My old cables looked very good! I bought 2 new ones and my problem went away. I took my old ones apart cleaned and applied anti seeze but I guess they had to much wear on them. Thanks for the response, I'm good to go now......

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I replaced the control and cables on my outboard a cpl months ago and there was three levels of cable quality. I bought the best ones because not too much cost difference and they are butter smooth. I forget what the three levels were called, I think mid grade was equivalent too OEM.