Advice please?

Peter Lawrence

Recruit
First time boaty. I have converted a 14' fibreglass sailing cat into a fishing platform and interested to know if anyone out there has any suggestions for engine size to drive it? I tried a 6hp Johnson (in picture) went well at full throttle but died..... gave it back! looking to put 8hp Yamaha or 9.8 Parsuns? (same weight. 26kg) I wonder if I am going to have a cavitation problem with the motor in the middle? Would fitting a false mini hull just in front help? (I have chopped the front 50cm off an old kayak and thinking it would be do the job great?) I am also looking at a Tohatsu 9.9. it looks quite old. has 355g on the engine plate? anyone know it's approx vintage?

Attachments

• DSC01429.jpg
    DSC01429.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 0

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Advice please?

I don't think you'll have any problems with a center mounted motor, its the same practice as a standard pontoon boat. I think that a 6-9 horse motor would really do the trick for that little boat. Which, btw, looks very interesting to me.

Re: Advice please?

tohatsu bought what was nissan marine and theve only been out since 99 to give ya an idea neat boat btw