There has been plenty of information....

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer
being requested as to what is the best cleaner for hull stains, rust and blood. I have tried most of the products sited as being the "best" and have generally found that they have a couple things in common;

• Price
  • effectiveness
  • price
  • ingredients

I am not advocating the use of household chemicals, even if they work just as well and are cheaper.

I have gone 1 step further - make your own!

The ingredient common to most of the cleaners that work on rust and hull stains from dirty water is "oxalic acid" or wood bleach. I have even seen where others have suggested using wood bleach found in various home supply stores.

I have, on the other hand, found an outlet on line for oxalic acid. I ordered a 2lb container for $12.00 plus shipping.

Upon receipt I mixed a batch as per their directions and it was a little complicated - mix desired amount with hot water!!

Since I own a lot of empty spray bottles I used one of them. It was a 25oz spray bottle of now empty "Spray Nine".

I mixed 2 teaspoons to the 25oz bottle of hot water and went outside to try it on my rust stained boat from a weeping cleat. After spraying I waited but I am too impatient and it didn't work right before my eyes.

So, I added 2 more teaspoons ...... to make a long story short I ended up with 6 teaspoons before I finally made myself walk away. Came back 20 minutes later and the rust was gone. Even the really heavy deposit that I hadn't realized was so bad.

So then I tried it on the tanic stains from Crystal River (or was it the St. John's River - I forget) and it almost immediately took it off.

Course, be aware that it also took off the wax, but so does everything else.

I did not want to share this information if the mixture lost its ability to clean after being stored for a time. So I waited for some time to pass - 4 months to be exact.

I just received my boat from the repair facility, and for some reason there were rust stains from metal shavings in the motor well.

So, out came the homemade mix and I applied a couple squirts.

After 20 minutes I checked back and the stains were totally gone. There was still the metal particulates and residue from the dried cleaner. But they cleaned up with a damp rag. WOW!!

So here is the supplier, chemicalstore.com.

So cautions however;
  • This is an acid - trat it with respect
  • Keep the containers sealed in a dry location
  • Keep them out of the reach of children: it looks like sugar but tastes like salt and will keep your mouth dry for a while.
  • Follow the directions with the containers
  • Mark your container so you know what's in it.

Oh yes, you could probably get by with just 2 or 3 teaspoons and end up with less residue to wipe off.

I have no affiliation with them, I am just cheap.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: There has been plenty of information....

Why do you know that this acid tastes like salt? :confused:

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

Let's just say you shouldn't lick your fingers and let it go at that.:rolleyes:

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

Been there, done that!

(That "repair shop" wasn't my dad's garage, was it?!)

No, your Mom and Dad have been galavanting all over the place, haven't seen much of them lately.