Apartment landings, new floor idea's

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I work at a 280 apartment unit complex as a maintnace tech. Over the next couple months we are wanting to redo all the landings in front of the doors with some sort of durable flooring. These are all exterior landings. The bottom floor landings are all concrete, but the top floor landings are plywood with vynal rightnow. Does anyone have any ideas for these that will work on both concrete and plywood?

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Apartment landings, new floor idea's

We just had all of our outdoor walkways coated as well. Our walkways are all concrete and they were coated with a layer of spreadable concrete and then scored/patterned to look like field stone. They were then stained different colors and sealed to give it the natural stone look. In my opinion it has not held up well. The material appears to be too soft and is easily marred through the color coat and into the base spreadable concrete. I believe this is probably an application or materials error as I have heard of these types of coatings being very durable. In your situation I think your only choice over the plywood is vinyl or carpet. I don't see any hardened material going over the plywood that is not going to eventually crack, break up and come loose. They do make some vinyls that look like stone and wood plank flooring so you might want to check into this. For your concrete walkways the sky is the limit. You can apply anything to them you want. A good paint job, tile or decorative concrete coating like we had done. If you go with tile make sure it is a tile with the color all the way through. You do not want to use a ceramic tile that if chipped shows a different color below the glazing.

Brokenrod

Seaman

How about a flexible epoxy coating like you see on garage floors. You would HAVE to make sure its the flexible type since your going over plywood on the upper levels. fill the seams and screwholes first, then apply the epoxy. If done right, you wont see a single seam and it will stand up to heavy traffic.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

If it were me I would remove the plywood and replace it with decking timber and then use a stain or water sealer.
On the concrete I would repair any damaged places and then apply a sealer on it.
What ever you do it won?t last forever. Renters don't take care of things that's not there's.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Are the landings metal pan or wood joist? If the stair stringers and pan are metal, pull the plywood and weld in 1/8 sheet pan and pour lightweight concrete in. If it's wood joist then composite deck material is the ticket.