Looking for PEE stream?

andyneedsone

Recruit
I just bought a Yamaha 3hp outboard model 3LF. The unit looks like new and starts right up; I noticed there was no visible PEE stream to show that the cooling is working correctly so I replaced the impellor. I still have no PEE stream.
My question is; does this motor have a PEE stream and if so where does it exit.
Andy
:confused:

skrillz78

Cadet
Re: Looking for PEE stream?

need to know year of outboard.But if yo take the cover off look for a tube coming out of lower unit that into the engine compartment and exits through the cowling.

Hey; I just bought an 88 3SG yamaha also. The water will come out of those 2 small holes in the back of the mid section, but only when the thermostat has opened. It will cycle on and off when running as the thermo opens and closes. I don't like it like that but that's the way they designed it. Their reasoning is the spark plug will warm up faster and stay cleaner- last longer. This I heard after I bought it. Ya., so how are you supposed to know if your over heatin.

I'm back; Today I checked the water pump, ran it without the thermastate. I found water was at least pumping up to that point and has to be going out somewhere besides those little holes. Just puffs of air come out of those. Salt X is my next shot.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

that "pee" stream is just to let you know your moving water most of the water goes out your lower unit.find the hole and run a wire up it, there is debris in it somewhere

I pulled the little cover at the two hole outlet and discovered those two holes go straight into the mid section tube. Their's no water tube to clog. So the only way for water to come out of those holes is if or when the mid section tube gets full of water. That would be why I was getting tiny little, hardly visable squirts out of them. They seem to me to be more of a releif port and is not as a telltale like most outboards have. So it looks to me like most all of the water would go out with the exaust. Which leaves us with that "I don't know if it's pumping" problem.

OK, So I've decided to add a telltale. My question would be where? Easy to do on the thermostat cover but not much clearance. Anybody know if that flat just below the breather hose would be safe. I would rather not pull the head off to find a spot. But what about right in the head facing aft. I just learned how to add one on here, just would like help on where to drill the hole without having to regasket.