aphia one and alpha two

notaxnd

Cadet
Could some one explan to me what an alpha one and alpha two and Bravo one etc are? I have been checking all over trying to find the terminology for these items but have had no luck even my repair manual doesn't mention thim. <br />I have a 1995 volvo penta with a 3.0 with a volvo SX drive what do I have?

Trent

Captain
Re: aphia one and alpha two

The reason you cant find them in your Volvo manual is because all three of those drives are Mercrusier drives. You have the SX drive by Volvo.<br /><br />Just so you will know:<br /> Alpha <br /><br /> Alpha 1 Generation II <br /><br /> Bravo I <br /><br />Their are a few more drives but these are the most common.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: aphia one and alpha two

Here's the text version:<br /><br />R, MR and Alpha One drives were produced from about 1983 through 1990. Starting in 1991, the Alpha One - generation II drive was produced, an improved version of the original Alpha One (generation one). The Bravo I drive was introduced in the late eighties, may 1988 and was designed to operate under higher stress/torque conditions and had additional features, such as hydraulic trim memory return. Bravo II was a beefier version for non-planing applications taking a large diameter prop (up to 20"). Bravo III has a twin prop configuration (dual counter rotation) for high hp applications.<br /><br />There are several versions of each drive type, including diesel versions and high performance specialty ones. Hope this helps.