1985 70HP Evinrude VRO Water Pump ISSUE

speedracer2j

Cadet
I bought a skeeter with a 1985 70hp motor. After getting it running, and running on muffs, had no pee stream. Put boat in lake, tried it out, once again my idea is confirmed the water pump is bad. Removed lower unit, found housing to be worn, impeller soft, and also water tube grommet was crushed. While tore apart, I removed thermostat, boiled it, tested out good. I hooked a water hose up to water intake pipe, and got water exiting as it should be with no restriction. Replaced entire pump assembly with mallory unit w/ housing. On installation, everything went pretty well, and reinstalled. I put theboat in the lake today, and happy as hell, I had a pee stream. After a couple loops, my pee stream was gone and was steam. I shut off boat, let it set, while I fixed my trailer runners, and then restarted with same results. At this point I assume something to be not correct with the pump/pick up tube. I have not tore into it yet as I almost broke my finger at some point today, but here are my questions. Kit came with 2 orings, one larger than the other. Small one seemed to fit snug on drive shaft, and I placed this at the top of the drive shaft... I am not sure if this is right. I am now wondering if one of those orings belong somewhere near the driveshaft grommet on the housing? I saved the extra one I had also. Or could it be possible, as between the housing and bottom plate I used little silicone, more grease to hold that stupid oring in place. What are the chances that it is leaking between the housing and housing base? I am pretty sure the system is not clogged, the motor was hot enough for me to decide I was not getting proper cooling action, and really I keep thinking about that oring. The picture in the book/parts fiche is totally not clear. Just looking for some advice before I drop the lower unit. Thanks

speedracer2j

Cadet
Re: 1985 70HP Evinrude VRO Water Pump ISSUE

Also, I am not recieving the overheat alarm as I believe the sensor is damaged, however I am aware of what should be normal and whats not. Definately gets hot.