Evinrude 25hp Outboard YEAR? and Problems?

Vapour1ze

Seaman
Picked up 14ft, boat, trailer, and this motor yesterday for 300$, I figured couldnt beat it, guy told me everything was fine, motor just sat for about 3 years but needed the carbs cleaned for sure as he couldnt get it running, but it used to start first or 2nd pull he claims, so I got it home, took it apart, got to the carb, and then I pulled it over a few times slow, and then the rip cord got stuck like half way out wont go in or out, the rip cord moves like an inch out then goes back an inch, motor isn't seized. I don't know anything about outboards really but I know enough on how to get the carb out and clean it but what is going on with this ripcord, and is that all I should do to try to get this going, clean the carb spray out the jets, and replace the plugs and call it a day or what? Thanks heres some pictures and a video of the problem with the cord. THANKS

and if anyone knows what year this is I would appreciate it as well. its a 25hp

and this is the link to the video of the problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6gao0ENprM

014.jpg

013.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

009.jpg

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Evinrude 25hp Outboard YEAR? and Problems?

The model number, which should be on a plate on the clamp bracket, will tell us the year.

25 Hp has been made continuously since 1969 but I think yours is older.

They made 25s back in the 1930s and also during the first half of the 1950s. I think yours is one from the 1950s.

The lockout mechanism ( throttle lock out ???? ) is not causing your problem I suppose..

If it were mine I would remove the whole recoil mechanism to look see what might be causing the problem.
BUT once it is off be careful what you do next. The spring will fly out of there like a caged tiger if you release it. It is almost as dangerous and as difficult to get back in.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That is either a 1955 25hp or a 1956 30hp. The starter lockout is down (locked). Back the throttle off toward "slow" and it should unlock. Are you sure there is something wrong with the carburetor? You should be looking at the igniton system. Unless they have already been replaced, you can bet the farm that the coils are cracked. They all are. It isn't going to run right till they are replaced.

Attachments

• Cracked coils2.jpg
    Cracked coils2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer

Just a guess but I would say 54-57. Rick

Vapour1ze

Seaman

thanks for the input, how do I find the coils??? and also I'll run down right now and try the move to slow for it to unlock, and he said he took it to a boat shop, and they tore it apart and said the carb needs thoroughly cleaning because it sat so long, and they wanted to charge him like 150$ or something like that? and he never did it.

*and its not a 30, its says 25 on it. :D

Vapour1ze

Seaman

F R thank you so much, haha, I turned it to slow and boom! Ripcord is back in. :) Thanks a million, now as far as cleaning the carb, should I continue on my way as to just removing the carb and or just the bowl? and spraying with carb cleaner and trying to get it to fire, or is there better steps to take, I'm really tight on cash and don't want to take it in, I'd rahter attempt to get this going myself without losing a million pieces and making it worse,