Military Surplus

We're Here

Seaman Apprentice
I'm seriously considering bidding on a 19' O'Day sailboat that is in the DRMO system. I have little sailing experience, but it seems too good a deal to pass up. Now, I can evaluate the boat itself; I'm pretty sure I know where it came from, what it's been used for and her condition. I'd like to hear from you if you've ever purchased any government surplus, boat or other vehicle.

27663728.jpg

27663735.jpg

27663736.jpg

27663757.jpg

27663759.jpg

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Military Surplus

Basic boat and should be dirt cheap. If it's surplus, it was probably abandoned in military storage, unless a facility maintained a recreational fleet. If the hull passes your visual inspection for gaping holes or huge cracks at the rub rail and transom, it should be fine.
However, rigging will be expensive b/c everything having to do with sailboats is. Looks like you need a tiller and rudder. Can't tell about the centerboard, or what's intact on the mast and boom. And then there's the sails.
Luckily it's a popular boat so you might be able to find some used pieces. It would be a good boat where you are.
Get an experienced sailor to take you out--even hire someone from the sailing programs at your local clubs and colleges.

We're Here

Seaman Apprentice

All good advice, Home. Thanks.

She was a training boat for Midshipmen at Annapolis. They maintained her well, but now she and her sister are abandoned in a warehouse 2 1/2 hours from me. I think I can get one with the trailer for about $200 if I'm lucky. ;)

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Nope... thats a ... TX 1000 stealth sailboat.. It actually holds 2 torpedoes. and is powered by a small turbo diesel and pushes bout 55 knots. Navy paid 2.5 million for it. But it can be yours........:eek::p;):D

We're Here

Seaman Apprentice

Mark 50s not depicted.

Attachments

• volitan-sailboat-intro.jpg
    volitan-sailboat-intro.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 0

Ned L

Commander

O'day built nice solid boats. The only real comment I would have to make is to echo "Home Cookin". Unless it is complete with all the rigging & usable sails your purchase price will be only a small portion of what it could cost to get her back out on the water.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

that would be fun to learn on

the one pix shows some running rigging and corner of a sail.
i would bet there is enough rigging to get her sailing. looks like the mast and boom are still there.

heck at $200 you could part out whats left and break even as a worse case.

jil and i learned to sail on an amf sun fish 32 years ago. it was a blast.

We're Here

Seaman Apprentice

It has all the sails and rigging. Who knows the condition of either. She's up to almost $300, and the auction ends in about 8 hours. :unsure

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

id buy that. looks complete enough to get ya started. id go as high as $500. trailer should be worth that in resale worst case if its sound. see if they will throw in a half track or a howitzer for the front lawn. :D