Help with 1968 Seaswirl Steering... I broke it!!!

Please scroll down...Last post decribes what I broke...

I have no clue what kind of steering I have or how to adjust my it...I have tryed to rotate the big bar with a pipe wrench to no avail... maybe its seized... or it isn't suppose to move? Do I adjust it another way?Or I am missing something? Please can some one help. I need to adjust it so I can turn my new motor all the way both ways...right now I have full motion to turn the boat right but only about a quarter of the way left... It seems if I could move the threaded bar to the right about 2 inches my problem would be corrected. I have sprayed it all down with a pb blaster for the last 2 days numerous times and tried to moved the bar with a pipe wrench and nothing...All help and/or advice is as usual appreciated...I have include a pic to help you help me.

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/lilcotton253/DSC_1332.jpg

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help with 1968 Seaswirl Steering

Check under the dash. You may have an adjustment at the steering post.
If the cable is moving free one direction then either you have a binding in the cable or a gear has broken in the steering mechaniism up front. Check the cable from the stern all the way to the column and ensure that you have no kinks or damage and then check the mechanism at the wheel/column.

I'm just sayin...:D

Hmmm...maybe I didn't explain it we'll enough...I wil try again. The steering wheel itself and the cable going to the back of my boat are all fine andworrk great. The problem I am having is the threaded bar where my steering cable attaches too and the push rod thatpushes my motor side to side goes into needs to be adjusted to the right an inch or two more so the motor can be pulled farther towards the right side of my boat. There are threads on the bar and it looks like I should've able to twist the bar and adjust it over to the right but I can't rotate it...do I have to have the push rod out of the pipe to spin it? I would really like to use this steering system as it works fine jut needs to be adjusted...hope that explains it better.

Bondo

Staff member

and it looks like I should've able to twist the bar and adjust it over to the right but I can't rotate it...do I have to have the push rod out of the pipe to spin it?

Ayuh,.... It's double nutted, a nut on both sides of the bracket...
Use 2 wrenches to turn the 2 nuts in opposite directions,...
Then the tube will rotate...

It may also be Seized, 'n require heat, and/ or penetrating oil...

It would also be a good time to pull the cable end out, 'n Grease it up...

Btw,... Welcome Aboard, 'n please resize your pictures to 640x480....

I hate sidescrollin'....

Great...thanks for the info...I will give that a shot today after work.

Really did it now...I got the two bolts to move away from the brass bracket n both sides...but the pipe would not budge. I heated it up with my torch and used a pipe wrench and a pair of vise grips and twisted so hard I twisted the bar apart...The brass piece just will not budge. Is there anywhere to buy a replacement tube and brass bracket??? Or a way to rig it up with hardware store parts? Or am I stuck buying a new steering system altogether now?

DSC_1510.jpg

Here is the broken bar and seized brass mounting bracket. I am hoping I can just buy the parts I broke as I do not see a way to mount any of the steering systems on this site to the back of my boat to move the motor back and forth. It kinda looks like the steering systems still require me to have the parts I broke...or am I just missing something there... BUt I really just would rather buy the parts I broke... Any ideas or thoughts? Or know what the parts I need to replace are called?

Okay, I still have this boat and I still have this steering issue. I have the boat at a friends house this week to get it running right and fix some things and the steering is one of the things on the list. ANyone on here that can chime in on if I can buy the metal pipe that I broke to fix the steering system? I have the brass bracket that was on the pipe I just need a new pipe. If thats isnt possible please let me know that also if you do so in fact know that or anything for that matter on this matter. Thanks!!