Bennett Tab Joystick wires

AviatorJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking for a wiring diagram for the Bennett Tab joystick. I have a '68 Bertram 25, and the tabs are showing no signs of life. Since everything is dead I suspect it is somewhere in the power line to the system, but I can't trace it back until know which wire to follow. All the wires on the joystick are white, so the color codes aren't going to do me any good. And I haven't seen anything on the joystick control, and I assume it was discontinued a while ago.

Many Thanks,
--Jim

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Bennett Tab Joystick wires

Welcome to the board.
I have 1981 model benett trim tabs and started with the joy stick. I later switched to the dual rocker that I like much better.
The wireing is the same for both. The pictures did not copy for here but near the power unit you should have a connector. The connector should have colored wires.
By putting 12 volts on the foward wire the motor should run then also put 12 volts on one of the solenoid wires and the tab should move.

If they could move this to electronics forum TabMan should see it and help you.
I do not know if he reads this fourm or not.

I hope this will at least get you statted. Check the fuse first and the 12 volts next.
Make sure the battery is charged.

TRIM TAB SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS
AND TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE
Note: If additional technical information or troubleshooting assistance is needed, contact
Bennett Marine's Client Services Department at (954) 427-1400 or e-mail trimtabs@earthlink.net.
System Specifications
Trim tabs - Stainless steel
Actuators - Upper hinge material (part #A1103) made of flexible nylon. Remainder of actuator made of high impact fiberglass filled nylon.
Hydraulic Power Unit (HPU) - HPU draws a maximum 18 amps (broken-in) and operates on 12 volts DC (except 24 and 32 volt HPUs). Approximately 22 ounces of ANY TYPE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID (ATF) is required to fill the reservoir to proper level for single actuator installations. With the trim tabs fully retracted, proper fluid level is about 2" from the bottom of the reservoir.
The HPU forces both trim tabs full-up to full-down in 9-10 seconds, individually in 4-5 seconds. (Trim tab travel on dual actuator systems takes twice as long.)
Helm Control - Controls on 12 volt systems use 20 amp in-line fuse. (24 and 32 volt use proportionally smaller.)
Hydraulic Tubing - Tubing has 1/4" outside diameter and 1800 lb. burst pressure.
Wire harness - Wire colors and their functions:
Red wire Port solenoid valve
Green wire Starboard solenoid valve
Blue wire Motor forward (pump pressure)
Yellow wire Motor reverse (pump retract)
Black on HPU Ground
Orange on helm control Positive
Trim Tab System Diagram - Part number and descriptions in table below. Click to enlarge.

Diagram Number Description Part Number
1 Fluid reservoir VP1139
2 #10 x 1" screw H1180
3 Filler Stack --------
4 Filler Plug VP1140
5 Mounting bracket for HPU H1179
6 Lexan cover VP1138
7 Type 25 thread cutting screw VP1154
8 Motor strap VP1142
9 Solenoid valve VP1135-RVP1135-G
10 Faceplate for HPU VP1144
11 1/8" pipe to 1/4" tube connector VP1146
12 Hex retainer VP1141
13 Nut with ferrule T1127
14 Hydraulic tubing (20' unless otherwise specified) H1171
15 Tube bending clip H1173
16 Female elbow H1172
17 Pipe nipple (3" unless otherwise specified) H1171
18 Upper hinge A1103
19 #14 x 1-1/2" screw H1174
20 Cylinder body A1105
21 Piston with o-ring A1109
22 Lower hinge pin A1115
23 Lower hinge A1113
25 Backing plate varies with size
27 Hinge plate varies with size
28 #10 x 1-1/4" screw EH1071
29 Trim tab only varies with size
30 1/4-20 x 3/4" machine screw H1175
31 Wire harness (22' unless otherwise specified) WH1000
32 Quick-disconnect plug VP1143
33 Nylon hanger H1177
34 Single lever control VC1000
35 20 amp fuse (12 volt system) H1176
36 Fuse holder H1178
37 Racing type control RT1000
38 Rocker switch control RS1000
Trim Tab System Information and Troubleshooting
Note: Click here for Bennett Trimdicator troubleshooting tips.
Bennett Trim Tabs are build to rigid quality standards. However, the marine environment is harsh. So, in the unlikely event a malfunction occurs, here is some helpful information.
1. If trim tabs do nothing...no movement...no sound from HPU -
- Inspect for blown 20 amp in-line fuse in helm control's orange wire.
- Inspect for disconnected or corroded connections on HPU ground wire, orange positive wire from helm control, and quick disconnect plug.
2. If HPU runs but trim tabs do not move -
- Inspect for disconnected or corroded red and green valve wire connections at helm control and quick-disconnect plug.
- The following test can be used to help isolate the malfunction.
Remove wires from helm control and touch together as follows:
Operation Reaction
Orange (+), blue, red Port trim tab down
Orange (+), blue, green Starboard trim tab down
Orange (+), blue, red, green Both trim tabs down
Orange (+), yellow, red Port trim tab up
Orange (+), yellow, green Starboard trim tab up
Orange (+), yellow, red, green Both trim tabs up
- If the tabs function properly in each of the above combinations, check the helm control. If during this test the trim tabs continue to malfunction, inspect the HPU.
3. If one trim tab operates and the other does not -
- Inspect for disconnected or corroded red or green valve wire connections at helm control and quick disconnect plug. (Red wire operates port trim tab; green wire operates starboard trim tab.)
- Reverse the hydraulic tubing at front of HPU to determine if malfunction is in HPU or actuator / hydraulic connections. If ,after reversing lines, the symptom shifts to other trim tab, a malfunction may exist in HPU. If the symptom remains on the same side, a malfunction may exist with the actuator / hydraulic connections.
4. If trim tabs go down but will not retract -
- Inspect for low voltage of the battery. Check battery voltage while HPU (or another accessory) is running. If voltage is less than 10 volts, valves will not open.
- Inspect for disconnected or corroded connections on helm control and at quick disconnect plug.
For additional assistance contact Bennett Marine's Client Services Department at (954) 427-1400 or e-mail trimtabs@earthlink.net.
Maintenance
- Periodically, check fluid level in HPU. With trim tabs fully retracted, fluid level should be about 2" from bottom of reservoir (approximately 22 ounces). To refill, remove the lexan cover and filler plug located on the front left hand corner of the reservoir. FILL WITH ANY TYPE OF AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID (ATF) ONLY. Brands or types of ATF can be mixed. Running the HPU with excess or lack of fluid will not cause damage.
- Periodically, check for clean electrical connections on the back of the control, HPU ground wire and quick disconnect plug.
- Cold temperatures do not affect the trim tab system. No winterization is necessary.
- SALTWATER ONLY - To deter electrolysis, a zinc anode should be attached to the top of each trim tab. The zinc must make direct contact with the stainless steel. In the case of trim tabs installed on the boat as original equipment by the builder, a bonding system may be utilized for your particular model.
- We suggest using anti-fouling paint to help protect the trim tabs from marine growth. The secret to getting anti-fouling paint to adhere to your trim tabs is proper priming, and the best people to tell you what to do are the experts at the company that makes your anti-fouling paint. We strongly suggest that you contact the paint manufacturer and tell them you are painting "304 stainless steel" trim tabs, then follow their recommendations to the letter! Remember don't paint under the zincs.
- Unpainted trim tabs may acquire an orange discoloration. THIS OXIDATION OF SURFACE CARBON MOLECULES IS NORMAL. Orange coating can be cleaned off, but will eventually return. Note: this discoloration should not be confused with the pitting and corrosion of electrolysis.
Home What Trim Tabs Do Trim Tab Kits Sizing Guidelines Installation Instructions F. A. Q. Links Trimdicators Auto Tab Control Auto Tab Retractor Hatch Lifters M80 & M120 Sport Tabs
Prices and Parts About Bennett Marine Contact Us Warranty Project Boats

Bennett Marine
550 Jim Moran Boulevard
Deerfield Beach, Florida 33442 USA

Phone: 954-427-1400
Fax: 954-480-2897
E-Mail: trimtabs@earthlink.net

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

I'm looking for a wiring diagram for the Bennett Tab joystick. I have a '68 Bertram 25, and the tabs are showing no signs of life. Since everything is dead I suspect it is somewhere in the power line to the system, but I can't trace it back until know which wire to follow. All the wires on the joystick are white, so the color codes aren't going to do me any good. And I haven't seen anything on the joystick control, and I assume it was discontinued a while ago.

Many Thanks,
--Jim

219-VC1000.htm

The fact that all the wires are white would indicate that someone replaced them as there was a color coded wiring harness originally. Use an ohm meter to check your switch 1st, then check for power to the switch (or vice versa), then go to the pump harness connector and using this color code chart;

Wire colors and their functions:

Red...... Port valve
Green... Starboard valve
Yellow... Motor reverse (pump retract)
Blue...... Motor forward (pump pressure)
Black......on HPU Ground
Orange.. on helm control Positive (this would be the joy stick)

to figure out if your pump and rams are working by jumping contacts.

I was unable to find a specific diagram but the information is the same just use some imagination.

If you need a new joy stick or harness PM me.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

Upon further investigation I found this post from 2002 in Iboats by "Tabman II". I have taken the responsibility of copying it here for you as I didn't know how to reference it back:

"I am Thomas and I work for Bennett Marine in Client Services. I am sorry for the trouble you are having with your trim tab system, but from the description it sounds like an electrical connection fault that can be tested out very easily!

Since your Port tab is working we know the motor/pump assembly is ok. The system is setup with an electric motor that runs Forward (Blue wire) and Reverse (Yellow wire) to provide the down and up action for the trim tabs. It also has two solenoid valves to separate which tab to be moved. There is a Red wired one for Port and a Green wired one for Stbd, just like navigation! I believe you are not getting power on the Blue wire when operate your control to move your Stbd tab, since the only noise you hear is a click from the Stbd solenoid when it opens. Please take a monument and check the backside of your control and ensure all of your connections are good and without corrosion. Then check the rest of the wiring down to the Hydraulic Power Unit (HPU) for the same thing. From your description I believe you either have a Rocker Switch Control (two side-by-side rocker switches) or the Racing Type Control (4 round rubber buttons in a square bezel housing). If so, within 1' of the HPU you MAY found a small gray box with gray potting which would be our Interrupter Relay. If you find one, please bypass it and try testing the system with your controls. If no change, then conduct the following tests with it bypassed. The following is a Trouble Shooting Guide for the system:

Red = Port Valve
Green = Stbd Valve
Yellow = Motor reverse, tab(s) up
Blue = Motor forward, tab(s) down
Orange = Power, located at trim tab control
Black = Ground, found on backside of HPU

Please conduct the following hot wiring tests starting at the trim tab control and working your back the HPU. Ensure you are working with proper voltage (12 volts for most systems, 20 amp fuse):

Blue + Red + Power = Port tab down
Blue + Green + Power = Stbd tab down
Blue + Red + Green + Power = Both tabs down
Yellow + Red + Power = Port tab up
Yellow + Green + Power = Stbd tab up
Yellow + Red + Green + Power = Both tabs up"

I think this should help you to resolve your problem as he is very concise in his instructions.

I believe he is still around if you need further assistance

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Many Thanks,
--Jim

Jim,

Yes the Single Lever Control was discontinued a while back.

The other posters have put up the correct troubleshooting, but here it is again below.

As pointed out you will have to determine which wires correspond to the colors on the wiring harness. Somewhere in the boat all the white wires will connect to the 4 color wiring harness and you could use a multi-meter there and mark the wires at the helm. If you look very closely at the back of the Single Lever Control you will see small letters molded into the plastic next to each connection point. They denote the color of the wire harness to be connected, B,Y,R,G for Blue Yellow Red and Green and there is a + for the positive power lead.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Fluid: Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) any type. Hydraulic Power Unit is self bleeding, running the Trim Tabs up and down 3-4 times will purge air from the system.

Fuse: 12 volt system use 20 amp in-line fuse on positive. (24v & 32v use proportionately smaller)

Red=Port Valve
Green= Starboard Valve
Blue=Motor Forward (pump pressure)
Yellow= Motor Reverse (pump retract)
Black on HPU=Ground
Orange on Helm=Control Positive

Troubleshooting

1.If one side is not operating reverse hydraulic lines on the front of the Hydraulic Power Unit to determine if the malfunction is in HPU or actuator / hydraulic lines. If after reversing the lines symptom shifts to the other side the malfunction may exist in HPU. If the symptom remains on the same side, malfunction may exist with the actuator / hydraulic lines

2. Is the unit receiving a solid 12 volts? Low voltage will some times cause the solenoids to not open preventing the tabs from moving even though the pump motor is running.

3. Conduct the following test:

Remove the wires from the helm control and touch together as follows:

Operation=Reaction
Orange (+), blue, red=Port trim tab down
Orange (+), blue, green=Starboard trim tab down
Orange (+), blue, red, green=Both trim tabs down
Orange (+), yellow, red=Port trim tab up
Orange (+), yellow, green=Starboard trim tab up
Orange (+), yellow, red, green=Both trim tabs up

If the trim tabs function correctly for each wire grouping then the switch is at fault. Also note that any loose or missing screws on the back of the switch (whether a wire is connected there or not) can cause the pump to malfunction.

This test may also be done right at the pump by substituting a "hot lead" for orange. There is usually a connector to the wire harness within a foot or so of the pump. You want to check this connection for corrosion. You may wish to cut the connector off on the pump side and try the test on bare wires.

4. If you suspect corrosion on the wire connector near the pump, cut it out, test as above and reconnect using butt splices.

5. If you conclude the problem is in the pump, contact me. Bennett Trim Tab Systems carry a five year warranty.

6. Check to see if there is a relay in line on the wiring harness near the hydraulic power unit. If there is it is an Interrupter Relay (IR1000). It prevents the system fuse from blowing if you try to actuate one trim tab up and the other down at the same time. After you test as outlined above, try removing the relay from the wiring harness and retest the unit. If it works the IR1000 will need to be replaced.

AviatorJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Many Thanks for the info. I had come across the presious info, color codes, and trouble shooting. Tom gave me that pearl I needed. The little "+" is what I was looking for. Now all I need to do is clean a couple of decades or grime off the bottom of the switch (mounted in the most convenient spot available of course) and trace the wire back. I'll get back to you as soon as I have a chance to poke the multimeter around a bit.

Keep the shiny side up, and the greasy side where the girls on the beach can't see it.
--Jim

sasto

Captain

While were at it....I have the same switch....old...I want to keep it. Can I/we add a second switch by simply jumping the wires?

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

While were at it....I have the same switch....old...I want to keep it. Can I/we add a second switch by simply jumping the wires?

Sasto,

You can run a second station with any of our Control Switches by connecting the wires from the second station to the corresponding colors either at the lower (original) station or anywhere in the wiring harness to the pump. They simply run in parallel. Don't forget that the new station will require its own 12 volt power supply with a 20 amp fuse or breaker.

sasto

Captain

Sasto,

You can run a second station with any of our Control Switches by connecting the wires from the second station to the corresponding colors either at the lower (original) station or anywhere in the wiring harness to the pump. They simply run in parallel. Don't forget that the new station will require its own 12 volt power supply with a 20 amp fuse or breaker.

Understand Tabman......thank you for the response. Nice to have you around. :)

AviatorJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Found my problem. The joystick is failed open. Power goes in, but nothing comes out, and as I jumper to each wire I get everything moving. So I'll be ordering a new control. Thanks.