1995 force 120 outboard engine winterizing

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi? i need some help on winterizing my engine. the boat will be parked outside with a boat cover. what do i need to winterize the engine and how do i do it? thanks for all ideas and steps and instructions.

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1995 force 120 outboard engine winterizing

HI pls help me with some ideas and instructions on how to winterize my outboard engine. thanks alot

redfury

Commander

Outboards are generally pretty easy to winterize. If you run the motor in saltwater, you will want to make sure you have flushed the motor to avoid corrosion ( should flush it every time you take it out of saltwater anyway )

Beyond that, drain the lower unit oil, replace. You can fog the cylinders, disconnect the battery and drain the fuel. The longer the boat is going to sit unused, the more important it is the deal with the fuel side.

I use my boat every season, and as soon as the lakes open up again, I don't do anything with the fuel system. I winterize by disconnecting my battery and drain/refill the lower unit oil...that's pretty much it.

The more important thing to do is to do a good visual inspection of everything now that you have a chance to fix it since you won't be tempted to use the boat. If you have bad lower unit shaft seals from getting fishing line wrapped up in the prop, get it fixed. Take off that cowl and make sure you don't have any bad fuel lines ( cracking rubber ) and make sure that your electrical connections still look good, are tight and not corroded. If something doesn't look right, investigate it further.

And store your engine in the upright position so that water can drain from the leg properly.

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok thanks