Chrysler Force 15hp Carb. Question

force23

Cadet
I have Chrysler Force 15hp outboard. Model # 225.587151 Serial # 1535. Im not sure the year but here is my problem, I need a Carburetor for it. The Carb that it had was a Walbro LMB 229 B which is now obsolete. I have tried many dealers and no luck, not even a rebuild kit. Is there a way to put another brand carburetor on this motor that would match the specs of the old one and if so which one. There has to be a way, they cant expect you to junk the motor right?

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Chrysler Force 15hp Carb. Question

I would check Ebay or search the internet for a carb or carb kit. I have seen used 15HP carbs on Ebay before (Fleabay :rolleyes:) and bought a 9.9 carb for my 89 7.5HP Force (Gamefisher) from Ebay. Have you checked here at the Iboats store for the carb kit? I have found some obsolete parts for my 7.5HP Force by scouring the internet with the P/N, or portion of the P/N.

There isn't much to that carb and I took mine apart to clean it (not rebuild) without a kit, just hope you can reuse the gaskets... (Yeah, yeah, I know, you should replace the gaskets....) I did make a new carb>engine gasket as I wanted to make sure it has a good seal, all other gaskets sealed up OK. If you do take it apart without the rebuild kit, just be aware you might be walking down a 1 way path, cross your fingers the parts & gaskets can be reused...

BTW, what's wrong with your carb?

Have you rebuilt the fuel pump yet? I would as Ethanol will eat, disform and harden the rubber membrane.

force23

Cadet

I have checked ebay and tried many part # searches and found results only to find the obsolete tag under the part. I just got the motor from a guy who had it sitting in his garage for a few years without running it. So I first removed the carb and cleaned it, but during cleaning I removed the nozzle which has the jet holes on it and was told after that I should never remove that because it is hard to get it lined back up properly. Im not sure if this is true or if that is the problem. Anyways this is what is happening, the motor starts typically after the first pull, run for about 10 to 30 seconds and then fuel begins to drip out of the slot below the choke valve which I assume is flooding it causing it to stall. It will restart after sitting for awhile only with the same result happening. My guess is a bad needle or needle seat since the float and float adjustment seems ok but I hope removing the nozzle to clean it wasnt my mistake. I cant find a rebuild kit so nI was hoping to replace the carb with one that is compatible, any suggestions?

fishrdan

Admiral

Sounds like the needle/seat isn't shutting down fuel flow, check the float level again and see if it cures the flooding problem. From what I remember, the float should be level with the carb's base, when flipped upside-down. Could be a bad needle/seat too...

Hopefully Jerry's guy will have something for you. If that doesn't pan out, search the outboard forum for "used parts" of something like that. I've seen a couple threads where people listed places to get used outboard parts.

force23

Cadet

Thanks everyone for your help. I have found a rebuild kit and once it arrives I will let you know if it solves the problem

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Rebuild the fuel pump and replace ALL the hoses while your waiting.
Ethanol is causing all kinds of problems.J

force23

Cadet

Just an update, got the carb rebuild kit, put everything back together and had the same problem. Should have listened to jerrys advice, opened the fuel pump and found out the diaphram was cracked. Off to rebuild fuel pump and will update once that is complete