speedo tube

robert graham

Admiral
In dropping the lower unit to replace the water pump impeller, it says to cut the speedo tube and then replace it back on re-assembly. I don't use that speedo tube or even have a speedometer, so would it be O.K. to just plug that tube or tie it off. What's the purpose of it being there? Thanks for your input on this.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: speedo tube

on the JK super jiggy watt motors it will lead to sudden destruction.
on the SK umpty jiggy motors it may work for 10 minutes and cause flames.
on the dopey JNK motors its no worries.
dunno what ya got.

I GOT ya :)

robert graham

Admiral

O.K. Rodbolt, it's my 1999 Yamaha 90C, 2 stroke, premix outboard motor. I was just thinking it would be easier to just plug that tube at the lower unit than to fumble around with hooking it back up, but what do you think?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

usually, just above the gearcase parting line, you will see a connector with tie straps. thats the dissconnect point for the speedo tube.
as long as its NOT unplugged under the hood area it doesnt matter much.
look carefully at the point where the shift shaft and speedo tube enter the midsection from the steering tube.
should have a dissconnect point.

robert graham

Admiral

So it's O.K. to plug the speedo connection on top of the lower unit, remove the rubber tube and just forget about it? I guess the speedo tube is like a pitot tube on an airplane, only it provides water pressure, not air pressure?

jaymz101

Cadet

correct. Its just a pitot supplying water pressure to your non existant speedo. just plug it on the gearcase and let the speedo hose hang loose (or tie it back, whatever)Ive JB welded them closed before with no ill effects. As long as you never want to use a speedo again.

robert graham

Admiral

jaymz101, Thanks, and I'm thinking of using a black rubber vacuum port plug to plug that fitting on top of the lower unit, then maybe some glue or a tie-wrap to keep it on. That way, if I ever wanted a speedo, the outlet would be there and operational. Guess I can just remove that speedo hose running up to the motor?

jaymz101

Cadet

Id leave it just in case. It can be a pain to thread it all the way up the shift shaft.