Volvo AQ131a/175 questions...

amuller

Seaman
After digesting the responses to my Merc vs Volvo query, I bought a 1986 boat with an AQ131a/175 drive train. Low hours, I think, and good compression.

It has several issues:

(1) Alternator is out of alignment. Is this common?

(2) Push rod setup that unlatches the tilt lock isn't working. I hear this is a somewhat common problem. The fix?

(3) Overheats at high power settings. My take on this is there is probably an air leak in the suction line. Right track? Could be a dirty heat exchanger. There are lots of seals in this system. Am I likely to need a whole set of new ones?

(4) This setup has no front mounts. Seems like a helluva load on the transom, but I don't seen any failures happening. Should I be OK with this?

(5) What's the proper way to trailer this rig? POs' did it resting on the tilt jackscrew, but I don't feel too comfortable with that. There is a support bracket thing in the boat made out of about 3/8 steel rod, but it's bent like a pretzel. Is this supposed to be straight/flat?

Well, this grew into too many questions. Thanks for any answers.

am

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Volvo AQ131a/175 questions...

To start with - a manual and knowledge of the parts diagrams will go a long way towards familiriazation and being able to call out specific parts or assemblies.

1) Can't tell you if it's common with this engine but you should be able to mess around with washers as shims to get it in better alignment.

2) Not quite sure what you're referring to since you also talk about trailering it with the threaded tilt rod extended. In any case, you can start by using the forum search feature to look for problems and possible solutions. Once you narrow down the problem, you'll most likely discover that it's been discussed before. Or at least you'll be able to ask more specific questions about the latch mechanisl and tilt assembly. There's a rumor going around that the latch mechanism was designed by satin himself but there's no proof of employment at VP or a patent application!

3) The water intake system can indeed have reduced suction if there are leaks. One of the most common in this particular setup is the filler neck, or hose connection on the outdrive itself. That doesn't mean that you don't have other areas of concern but it's a common for that to corrode and be the source of a suction leak.

4) The cantilevered design has been around for over 20 years. It shouldn'
t be a problem if you have a sound transom. Some have decided to fabricate front mounts but that's a personal preference.

5) I know what you mean about the outdrive bouncing on the tilt rod. Several of us have had good luck with this bracket from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo-Penta-Trailering-Bracket-270-280-Outdrive-/280564388974?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item4152f0d46e

Again, a good manual and going through the older posts will help you out. The engine and outdrive are a pretty durable combination with quite a few of them still going strong. The downside is that they're no longer in production and getting a little long in the tooth so some repairs just aren't feasable.

Good luck and keep asking questions!

amuller

Seaman

Thanks for the information. I'll order one of those trailering brackets.

I've downloaded and printed various manuals and am digesting them.

This system obviously has it's pros and cons compared to the more common MerCruiser. Overall, I'm liking what I am seeing.

Two questions:

What's the thinking on timing belt change interval? From a quick inspection, this looks like an easy job except for removing cooling system parts.

Just to know, is is possible to add power trim to a system not having it--assuming the parts were available from salvage.

Thanks again.

Brucetafer

Petty Officer 1st Class

im assuming you have a 275 outdrive, so no, no trim available, but power tilt only... the cooling system has a bunch of o-rings that need to be replaced when taking the unit off... if the timing belt looks good, leave it, if it looks worn cracked or sloppy replace it... any volvo belt will work (napa or kragen or your regular volvo dealer)

nothing on this motor is easy or fun.. it looks great runs great when running...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Those alternators being out of alignment usually means someone installed the wrong alternator. The foot of the OEM alts. are offset to match the other pulleys.

The lockdown mechanism and adjustment is in the drive manual. You will just need to read it and understand how and what it does, then finding what the problem is is fairly easy.

A very common place for air leak in the water pickup area is the hose connection on the outdrive. They tend to corrode off right where the hose attaches on the outdrive.

Engine Manual http://www.4shared.com/file/64741910/25295432/230_250_251_131151171.html

Drive Manual http://www.4shared.com/file/48536730/fa3b3311/280_to_DP-C_Drive_manual.html

Owners manual downloads from Volvo http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopent...lication_search/Pages/publication_search.aspx

Trailering brackets are really essntial on the Volvo drives with the electro mechanical lift, as the jack screws are on a clutch and can be pushed down by hand (or bouncing) while trailering.
There are several types out there, if you trailer without one, at least tie the drive up with a dock line or something.