Growling sound from outdrive while turning

dsorrell

Cadet
I have a Volvo Penta 2.1 liter, 4 cyl, ohc engine. AQ125B. The outdrive is a 270D. When making a turn there is a growling sound coming from the outdrive somewhere. Earlier this summer I replaced both U joints and all gaskets and O-rings in the outdrive tyring to fix both the growling and an overheat problem. The overheat is solved but the growling remains. I used a pipe to try to pinpoint the souce. It's loudest at the upper unit of the outdrive. The bell housing bearing had been suggested by one source but I'm not convinced that's it based on sound source. I'd prefer not to pull the engine out until convinced. Thanks for any suggestions.

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Growling sound from outdrive while turning

remove the drive and then reach into the drive shaft bellows and grab the drive shaft to see if the shaft wobbles around .if it does then there is the problem.

dsorrell

Cadet

If it wobbles, then the bell housing bearing needs replacing, right? If that winds up being the case, can that be done through the transom instead of pulling the engine? Or is there a bearing right at the transom that is different than the bell housing bearing my manual refers to?

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class

it has been a while since i have done one of these ,i believe the reason for removing the engine is to be able to drive the shaft out.so if you can get the shaft out from the outside then you don't need to remove the engine.but you won't be able to replace the inner seal in the flywheel housing.maybe someone else can fill in some other details.good luck .

jw454

Cadet

Hello, Iam not that familiar with the Vovo, but on the Mercruiser you will have that noise if the U-joints are bad, or if the Gimble bearing (bell housing) bearing is bad. Finaly you want to check the input bearing on the outdrive (where the driveshaft yoke enters the sterndrive). You have to pull the sterndrive to check or replace the gimble bearing (you need special heavy duty puller, not slide hammer like manual says). Then is a perfect time to check the play you may have with the input bearing(will be soppy up-down , side-side. Hope this info helps.

dsorrell

Cadet

Thanks for the repair tips for the problem I have. The boat sits outside so I am hoping for decent weather soon to be able to look at your suggestions. I'll let you know what I find.

dsorrell

Cadet

I started off the new year by pulling off the upper gear box and u-joint boot on the outdrive to access the drive shaft coming through the transom. The shaft is indeed wobbly and while shining a light on the shaft I could observe the inner race of the bearing sloppily move around while wiggling the shaft. Looks like it's engine removal time to get at that bearing. Any words of advice or tips to be aware of? Anything I should go ahead and do while the engine is out?<br />Thanks for the help.

jw454

Cadet

I assume you are refering to the gimble bearing when you say the driveshaft is slopping around. Not that familiar with your out drive but, it would seem to me (if anything like Mercruiser) the bearing is pulled from the rear of the boat. I had to replace mine on Bravo One and manual said to use a slide hammer. That is a joke. I went to local marina and they agreed I probably would have slide hammer elbow before I would ever move that bearing. They loaned me their puller wich was a custom machined 1inch grade eight roundstock ,when after inserted through the bearing had a bolt in the center that protruded 4 case hardened pins trapping it in the bearing. From there, a very large nut was threaded on the round stock and against a piece of 3quarter steel plate that sat flush on the gimble housing.Shure helps to have the right stuff. Good luck

dsorrell

Cadet

Hey jw454, your thinking is right on. I had a friend over to look at my bearing problem hoping he could help me pull the engine. When he looked at it, he said the same thing as you; that I could get it out from the back by removing the seal and snap ring then using a bearing puller he has. Sure was nice to hear that. I can't wait to get at it. Thanks for the advice about the specialized bearing tool. Stay tuned for further results.

jw454

Cadet

Good luck on your project. Hope it turns out well. look forward to hearing results. JW. 454.

dsorrell

Cadet

Here's an update on the growling noise elimination project. The weather finally cooperated and I was able to get at the gimbal bearing. The shaft and bearing pulled out pretty easy after deburring the gooseneck that it slides into. The bearing's cage was completely gone and the nine balls were just free floating between the inner and outer races. I put on a new bearing plus a new outer seal, filled up my 4'x5' test trough and hooray, the growling noise was gone. Amazing what a good bearing can do!<br />I noticed a bit of dripping coming from the weep hole on the antifreeze coolant pump, so I'll have to take a closer look, etc. etc. but that stuff is pretty easy. Thanks to all for your input and help.