Your opinions sought

Carl_Spackler

Recruit
Hey Guys,

I've been lurking on the board for a while and was hoping to get your opinion on a Craig's List ad for a boat. I'm a newbie. Not only to the forum but to boating as well. Please read the ad below and tell me your honest opinion. Is this boat worth pursuing or am I asking for trouble? He wants $9,500.00

"2006 Sea Pro Dual Console, 150 HP Mercury Verado 4Stroke, Stainless Prop, Hydrolic Steering, Rear Bench Seats, Storage & Console for Toilet, Boat took on water at dock and was pumped out, motors completely cleaned and flushed cranks and will run needs new harness, already installed new key switch, benical control, bilge pumps work, boat looks almost new"

I called the guy - he works at a boat yard, and he told me the boat was laid over on its side against the dock - which I didn't even think was possible, anyway, he said the bimini top was bent but probably workable and I could spend $800 to $1,200 on a wiring harness and she'd be ready to go.

In your opinion, are boats that have "taken on water" worth the trouble?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Your opinions sought

Been there, done that and won't go there again. That's my opinion.

First of all I would never buy ANYTHING that was not running. Let the previous owner buy the harness and fix it before he sells it.

I once had a 2-stroke sink. It was flushed and rebuilt and never ran the same. Several different mechanics worked on it before we finally dumped it at a great loss. Since this is a 4-stroke you may get different opinions.

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

run away!!!!! you are exactly the guy they are looking to sell this thing to.;)

There are far to many variables to consider...... seeing that's the case I wouldn't pay that much for it anyways.

If you have 10,000 dollars to spend there are plenty of good condition and mechanically perfect boats to be had....

Dave1251

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This sounds like the boat has been totaled be the insurance company. It this is the case, the boat will come with a salvage title. All warrantees on boat and engine will be void. The electrical parts 150 HP Mercury Verado are very expense.

In my option, Run Forest Run!!

Carl_Spackler

Recruit

Well..I'm not sure if I'm the exact guy they're looking for.... because I did consult you guys first. Yeah, I was kind of feeling uneasy about this one to begin with but I wanted to ask, and who knows, if I'd get an overwhelming number of responses saying it was worth a try, I may have driven the 1.5 hrs to check it out. I appreciate your comments.

ziggy

Admiral

i wouldn't get that boat. specially for a new boater. ya'd be starting the the cards stacked against ya from square one.

everything on the inside of a boat ain't designed to be submerged. most likely it'll all get replaced in the end.
that don't take into consideration that the wood got fully submerged too. transom, stringers, sole. could turn into a full boat restore before it's over. many dollars and much labor..

imho. just to many possibilities of things to go wrong. that'd be a bad way to get started in boating. where everything is possibly gonna fail...

boats are expensive and labor intensive to keep up anyways. why start with one that has known issues.. i'm sure there's other fish in the seas that will suit you just as well and likely better.... ;)