BeachCat leak...

planglais

Cadet
Also posted in Pontoons...I have a 1999 BeachCat that is taking water through the drain plugs..I pulled it out of water, teflon taped the threads on the plugs and re-installed, I am still getting water in the rear compartments of the hulls...any ideas? thanks..Paul

planglais

Cadet
BeachCat leak...

I have a 1999 BeachCat that is taking water through the drain plugs..I pulled it out of water, teflon taped the threads on the plugs and re-installed, I am still getting water in the rear compartments of the hulls...any ideas?..Thanks...Paul.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: BeachCat leak...

Since it appears as if the plugs are not leaking, you should take it to a professional to test and repair the toons.

planglais

Cadet

they're fiberglass hulls and sealed..i inspected the hulls out of the water...the leak is isolated to the plugs. These plugs do not have gaskets.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

What about leaks around the flanged fitting the plugs screw into?
Or even via the screws that hold the flanged fitting to the hull?
Or a missing o-ring in your deck/access plate that is letting water in from above when it rains, etc.

planglais

Cadet

its definately not coming from the deck access plate..its been sitting in the water (no rain) and its filling up slowly (about 2 cups per day)....i dont recall whether or not there was a flanged fitting for the bolt when i trailered it out of the water for the teflon tape...i put it right back in water since i live on a lake...I called beachcat but no one answers the phone. I suppose I'll have to pull it out again and if there is a flanged fitting maybe i could put some silicone around it.

Jeep Man

Commander

its definately not coming from the deck access plate..its been sitting in the water (no rain) and its filling up slowly (about 2 cups per day)....i dont recall whether or not there was a flanged fitting for the bolt when i trailered it out of the water for the teflon tape...i put it right back in water since i live on a lake...I called beachcat but no one answers the phone. I suppose I'll have to pull it out again and if there is a flanged fitting maybe i could put some silicone around it.

No silicone! Silicone does not belong on a boat. Make a gasket out of cork or rubber, remove the plug, smooth out the area around the drain hole and re-install with teflon and the gasket. Failing this, get some 3M 4200 or5200 sealant.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

What Jeep-Man said.
Do it right i.e. dont be gooping it onto the outside of the flange and over the screws.
You will be chasing the leak again in a few weeks.

planglais

Cadet

Ok thank you...I guess I've fixed way to many landside leaks with silicone LOL...I will use a gasket.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Hopefully Ladyfish isn't reading this thread. She'll get us!:eek:

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Actually, I prefer the real thing. But, I'm only human.