Painting axles springs

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
Anyone ever disassemble new springs and paint using a underwater primer for steel and paint or a product like rust bullet to prevent your springs from rusting. Or maybe just extend the life by a significant amount.

Any other ideas on how to keep your trailer springs from rusting with use in saltwater?

I am considering doing this since my boat trailer goes in salt water.
My only ? is with the flexing of the springs will the primer/paint or rust bullet will flake off.

I used rust bullet on my trailer modifications last year and so far the product seems to hold up.

Mybigjohnson

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Painting axles springs

Anyone ever disassemble new springs and paint using a underwater primer for steel and paint or a product like rust bullet to prevent your springs from rusting. Or maybe just extend the life by a significant amount.

Any other ideas on how to keep your trailer springs from rusting with use in saltwater?

I am considering doing this since my boat trailer goes in salt water.
My only ? is with the flexing of the springs will the primer/paint or rust bullet will flake off.

I used rust bullet on my trailer modifications last year and so far the product seems to hold up.

I used POR15 on my utility trailor. This is what I am going to use on my boat trailor next spring. Once done, it will last a long, long, time.

http://www.por15.com/

reelfishin

Captain

Anything you do to prevent rust is a benefit.
The paint will wear off between the springs fairly fast, so I'm not sure how much you will gain by painting in between unless the spring pack uses nylon slides between the springs. I usually strip mine down and paint with a self etching primer and a good chassis black paint. They seem to last for a few years without any severe rust that way. I also regularly give them a fresh shot of paint to help keep after the rust along the way.
I also lightly lube up the springs in between the leaves during assembly, it seems to keep things quieter and the springs don't get as rusted as fast that way. A buddy of mine soaks his springs every few weeks with oil to keep them from getting too rusty. I'm not big on the mess it makes though.

elkhunter338

I am going to try por-15 on the trailer springs.
However I used rust bullet on the trailer a year ago and after reading both products I think rust bullet might be a better product.
However I have to order rust bullet and my local store has por-15, but por-15 cost more.
I might even do my own rust test with por-15, rust bullet, and a underwater primer that I have.

Silver Eagle

I used Por 15 on a motor cycle exhaust system and it lasted 15 years and it never rusted out.

sasto

Captain

Anti-Seize...with a brush....unbeliebeable in saltwater.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

POR-15 ais advertized as very "rock hard".
I have seen it used on metal battery trays and it looks very hard.

If so, the flexing of the springs will crack the POR-15 and let water in to do its thing to the springs.

elkhunter338

Por-15 bends, they had a piece of sheet metal painted with por and it flexes without breaking. Looks hard but flexes. Rust bullet is similar.
I am going to use por-15 on the springs and see what happens. I will report at the end of next summer to let everyone know how 1 year looks.
I will post a picture of the finished springs and such later this winter when I get the project done.

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think paint will hold up very long between the leafs. And another issue is the paint will tend to adhere to itself and decrease spring function. X2 on the never seize. Take the springs apart and clean off all the dirt and rust. Brush on a liberal coating of good quality never seize. Re assemble the springs and wipe of the excess. It will be a mess. Then paint the spring. Your springs will be protected from rust and work noise free. Another thing to think abot if you are in salt water all the time is to just replace the springs once in a while. Springs are under $30.00 usually.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I painted a new trailer's springs with Rustolium once. After two seasons in the salt, the springs were all rusty. Now I just wipe down with grease. Thought there would be a sheen on the water, but haven't noticed one. Grease holds up better than Rustolium, and works in between the leafs making them quiet.

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just did my springs with POR-15 as I have been using it to do car resto. for the last 20 years and have done many springs. the springs wear out before the POR and should work fine in salt as that is what it was intended for in the beginning but be sure you follow the directions to the letter for good results.

robert graham

Admiral

Spray springs, shackles down with white lithium grease, easy to apply and cheap, provides good protection, stays on very well. But whatever you do, the springs are going to rust, but they're prety cheap to replace too. Good Luck!

j_martin

Admiral

Back in the good old days (before 1950) leaf springs used to be packed in grease, wrapped in burlap, with a sheet metal sheath over all. Periodic maintenance involved removing the sheath and repacking the springs. They lasted approximately forever.

A friend of mine that runs a fleet of service vans in Minni-snowta sprays a can of WD40 on the springs of each van every fall. Those springs last about as long as the rocker panels, which is about 5 years. Otherwise they would go about 2 in the rough service these vans see.

Another option would be composite springs, like some newer vehicles use. Fiberglass and epoxy don't rust.

my 02
John

Ditto on the white lithium greeeeease spray - local trailer shop recom and been doin fine ever since :D

elkhunter338

I thank everyone for their input.
I have decided to combine what some of you have tried and say work.
1. I plan to coat springs with por-15 (one of you said it works good on springs) and does not crack, which matches the products claims.
2. plan to coat between the springs with some antisieze.
3. plan to spray with the rust preventive film, just got at the johndeer store
fluid film looks like some usefull stuff and been around since 1943.
I plan to use antisieze on all the bolts and such.
This should make the springs last for many many years.

Springs are not cheap 30-40 each and almost 20 per axle for u-bolt kits, plus shackle bolts. $150 to replace the springs/hardware.
I think a few buck in por-15 and other stuff can double or triple the springs life.