What powers your holiday?

barbosam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had started another thread about the maximum engine weight for my Holiday and I found that some of the most helpful information was when users posted what engine they use and how it performs. I've also noticed a lot of threads about choosing a motor for a starcraft. I thought it would be helpful to everyone if we all posted what we are using to power our starcraft and how it performs.

In an effort to keep this organized I think we should stick to Holidays only in this thread, but I think it would be a good idea for other people to start the same thread for other starcrafts.

I think it would also be helpful to follow a format as follows...
1) Year of boat, length of boat, model, type of motor (O/B or I/B)
2) Year of motor, hp, and make
3) General comments on performance, info on prop used, etc.

I'll go first...
1) 1975 18' Holiday O/B
2) 1994 70hp Johnson
3) Using a 13.25" x 15 prop this boat planes easily, runs at about 5400rpms fully loaded, I don't have a speedo or GPS but I estimate that it runs about 30mph. This setup is very fuel efficient, even more so than some smaller boats I've owned. The boat does tow a tube pretty well with 5 passengers on board, it can bog down a little in corners when towing. I would prefer a little more power, I don't think I will be able to find a prop that can overcome its small short comings while towing.

I can't wait to hear from you guys!

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Re: What powers your holiday?

Hey, sorry for the thread hijack (I don't own a holiday but I do own several outboards like yours.). Just wanted to point out to you that your motor should be turning 6000RPM at WOT.

Going to a 4 blade 13p prop you will notice a big improvement in hole shot, towing and cruising ability. Might even pick up a MPH or two on the top end.

Solas Amita 4 blade aluminium is less than a 100 bucks here on iboats.

cheers:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have an '81 Evinrude V4 90HP on my 18' SS (same hull). Some moron put 140HP carbs on it which are too big. My mechanic managed to get them jetted correctly enough for it to run nicely. I eventually need to get my hands on a set of 115 carbs though. That being said, I'm probably running somewhere between 90 and 115HP and it launches my boat out of the hole and up to just about 40MPH.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

The bare naked lady (68 Holiday) has a transplant 3.0 140 HP with an Alpha 1.
I have a 19p 3 blade and I would say that it goes close to 40. I think it would go faster because the only time I went to that speed at 4300 revs I had 6 people in the boat. Additionally - When I trimmed up I got some slight porpoising.

I bought a 17p for skiing - I want to yank a slalom skier out without dropping a ski - but I haven't tried it yet.

I would say I am completely happy with the 3.0. I get great gas mileage and tubing/skiing perfomance is just fine - and i go 30-35 at ease.

I would like to try a WOT run with just me in the boat and goof around with the trim -I am sure it would end up 45.....

barbosam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, I know how much you guys live for pictures, so maybe we can spice this thread up by attaching pics of our rigs. Heres mine...

Attachments

• DSCN1792.jpg
    DSCN1792.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN1793.jpg
    DSCN1793.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN1796.jpg
    DSCN1796.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN1797.jpg
    DSCN1797.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN1798.jpg
    DSCN1798.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 1

gdragon

Cadet

1974 18' Holiday OB
1974 Mercury 850 85hp
Not sure what prop is on it, that's why I'm here. It was used by the PO as a ski boat and I can get it to 31-32 depending on who's with me.

been a while since i've been on here but figured this would be a great place to drop in and and wow.

74 21ft holiday. avacado green.
P1040390.jpg

88 175 black max.
P1040378.jpg

running a stainless 21 pitch 3 blade right now.
have a 19 pitch highfive prop that i use when we are pulling more 2 tubes.

i got it on the river last friday night and the calmest night of the year. i wanted to see what i could do. needless to say with the gps on my phone along with the speedometer. 55 mph down river :)

JD in Milwaukee

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's flying along! Nice rig.
been a while since i've been on here but figured this would be a great place to drop in and and wow.

74 21ft holiday. avacado green.
P1040390.jpg

88 175 black max.
P1040378.jpg

running a stainless 21 pitch 3 blade right now.
have a 19 pitch highfive prop that i use when we are pulling more 2 tubes.

i got it on the river last friday night and the calmest night of the year. i wanted to see what i could do. needless to say with the gps on my phone along with the speedometer. 55 mph down river :)

PINIT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

1965 18' Holiday O/B
Mercury Mariner 115, tach says 4600 rpm at WOT which ive read is low for this motor.
Need to check out what prop is on it, gets out of the hole good put has no top end.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Elliott, I thought I was the only one that got that smashed pea green. looks like they must have made two of them. I hate to say but I'm changing to blue. Sons request. He convinced me the fish like that color better!

'72, 18' Holiday crazy splash well with jump seats. '73 Johnson 65
Haul with '04 F250 loaded!

starcraft web photos 015.JPG
starcraft web photos 034.JPG

marcbeach

Recruit

1973 Starcraft Holiday 18' O/B with a 1979 Mercury 115hp tower of power. She will do about 54mph on the gps. Sounds awesome too.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

1973 Starcraft Holiday 18' O/B with a 1979 Mercury 115hp tower of power. She will do about 54mph on the gps. Sounds awesome too.

Hey Marcbeach, That's the motor I want to power my 18' Holiday with. Thanks for the info I was wondering how fast that motor would push her.

marcbeach

Recruit

Hey Marcbeach, That's the motor I want to power my 18' Holiday with. Thanks for the info I was wondering how fast that motor would push her.

No problem. I tried to find some numbers on the prop to see what pitch it is but can't find any. The PO told me the prop that is on it is for speed and the spare is for hole shot. The hole shot on this is crazy, so I have no need to change to the other prop.

Dodge1406

Recruit

Hey I have a 1972 starcraft holiday with a 115 tower on her and wondering what prop pitch would give me the best top end? I have a 3 blade aluminum 19 pitch which I can hit 43 mph. Looking to see what marcbeach has on his? 54 mph and what rpms? Sounds awesome. Let me know. Thanks for all your help.

barato2

Commander

beer.

oh, you meant my Starcraft Holiday.........sorry, i just read the thread title. for power, i use a dorm fridge. :lol: it's an aggressively styled dorm fridge, but i'll have to wait for the splash to see how fast it goes

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

^ true story

here is a picture
dasfridge_zpsb696ea7d.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You two along with EZ are gonna start a run on Chryslers and drive up the value of spare parts. :laugh:

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

1974 21 1/2 ft holliday IV
2003 350 cu in 250 hp inboard with a eliminator jet drive Over power is ok as no prop to torque the transom. Weight is within limits. They were made this way for the coast guard. supposed to run about 60, but I had carb problems, only did 35, but instantly. Hopefully fixed, man I hate putting fuel pumps in chevys, not quite finished yet. Will be 280 hp with new fuel pump, and carb. The old one was so gummed up the mechanic said he didn't know how it ran. This is the same guy who told me it was in great shape after I got it.

and2ram

Seaman

1989 Holiday 18' OB
1989 Johnson 110
I'll let you know when I get it in the water...hopefully soon.