Mercury Black Max???? Charging??

I have a 1990 175 Black Max I just bought, it runs great but the tach wasn't working ,I found a loose wire on the rectifier that fixed that issue but my volt gauge stays under 12volts? Is it possible i messed up the rectifier when I tightened the bolt? I have checked for charging voltage at the batt but nothing,and the more I run the engine it drains the batt?? Please help!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury Black Max???? Charging??

A loose wire on a rectifier can cause them to burn out. You might test it to see that the diodes are all still good.

1 more question? Is O.K. to keep running this way or will it kill my Black Max???

Help Please, I have no knowledge on the how to? and big bucks to take to the shop!

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I doubt it will hurt anything, but not a good idea to run something broken like that especially when its a relatively easy fix, here is an old thread that may be helpful http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=426631

There are many other just punch in rectifier in the search funtion upper r/h corner

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Testing the rectifier requires an analog ohmmeter, and to disconnect the rectifier from all wires. Your rectifier is four diodes arranged in a bridge. Your rectifier has four connections. One of the connections is ground. Place one lead of the ohmmeter on one of the ac leads (where one of the yellow wires was), and the other lead on ground. The ohmmeter will read either zero resistance or infinite resistance. Switch the leads and the ohmmeter should read the other value.

If one reading is zero resistance and switching the leads is infinite resistance, that that diode is good.

Repeat for the other diodes, which is AC to +12v terminal (where red wire was), then other AC to Ground and other AC to +12Vdc terminal. If all four diodes check out the rectifer is good. If any test shows infinite resistance both ways or zero resistance both ways, the diode is bad, and the rectifier needs to be replaced.