New in the forum and new with force motor.

Joel19rovalo

Cadet
Hello.
I'm from Homestead Florida.
I'm bought a 125 hp force motor, 1986 or 1989 I don't know the year, has four cylinder and 120 psi in all, is dual exhaust
My first question is.
What is the most common problem with this engine?
What is the bigger problem?
And why here in south Florida people say, this motor is not good.

Thanks.

foodfisher

Captain
Re: New in the forum and new with force motor.

The most common problem is working on it without a manual. I take that back. Neglect is the most common problem. Other problems, including reputation, come from neglect.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The biggest problem is the dwindling availability of parts and service. That is the primary reason why they are less sought after than other brands.

Joel19rovalo

Cadet

Thanks for your responce.
Where I can buy the manual for this engine?

Cannondale

Petty Officer 1st Class

I own a Force myself.....first one I've had. No complaints so far, it's just a dead simple motor. Easy to work on, easy to maintain.

As for manuals, my first choice is the actual factory service manual...the kind put out by the manufacturer for use in their service areas at dealerships. You can find them on ebay. But be forewarned, those manuals are put out each year for that year's particular motor(s). So yours may be rare in coming up...but it's one thing to keep watching for.

While waiting to find a "real" factory service manual, I'd go buy a Clymer's for your motor and really, really avoid the Seloc manual. The Clymer's has vastly more info than the Seloc ever pretended to have. Just google Clymer and you'll find the appropriate one in a minute.

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class

joel, the biggest problem you'll run into is that most mech. don't want to work on them whether from lack of knowledge or just opinion from other mech,but they are very simple motors to work on and if properly serviced will give a lot of good pleasure time on the water. This motors are really a do it your self type of motor as far as service,just about every thing on the motor can be repaired by the owner with a manual and help from this forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum that will be more than happy to help you with any thing you might have go wrong that you can't figure out your self. And as far as parts go ,you should be able to get any thing you need from the after market[ the forum host IBOATS being one]good luck with it and keep us posted on your progress

Joel19rovalo

Cadet

Is good the heard how many good people are in the forum
Thanks to all.

Where I can buy a cober for the caburator??

anple

Petty Officer 3rd Class

go to crowleymarine.com
You'll find parts you need for your motor very easy by the motor diagrams. Good luck! - Anthony

Gone4two

Cadet

There are a few things you need to understand. This is a two cycle motor, so you need to take care of it. Many newer boats are 4-cycle and are maintenanced alot like a car. If you are new to the boater world then you will come across the ney sayers about 2-cycle. 4-cycle has its advantages (i.e quieter, less fuel usage, and easier general maintenance), but a properly maintained 2-cycle will out perform. I agree with the posts about staight forward and less compex designs, but you will need to be pro-active on these motors. Check the vitals frequently - gear case oil, carburetor floats, cable adjustments, fuel filters, fuel lines, spark plugs, and reed valves. If your inspections indicate wear, fix the problem immediately because when things start to go wrong they build on each other, and go south in a hurry. I can equate these motors to the old shovehead harley motor. When everything is right they run like a bat out of hell, but when things are wrong they are frustrating and really wrong. They can nickel & dime you if you do not maintain & frequently inspect. If you have patience, mechanical skills, and don't mind tinkering, you will enjoy this motor for a long time. Remember that they are only worth about $1,500, so if you don't want to spend 5K+ for a newer motor - maintain what you have.

Good luck, and let the force forum be with you!

Gone4two