Any Fiberglas boats WITHOUT wood in the transom?

TommyD11730

Seaman Apprentice
... and I don't mean no wood because it's all rotted out! :D

I'm looking for a fairly late model no nonsense Center Console in the 17-21 foot range. My biggest fear when looking at used hulls are rotted transoms.

I know there are some decent ways to detect rot/transom damage. However if the hull has no wood back their to begin with, thats one less thing to check. <I mean rotted wood not the transom itself.>

Thoughts?

Tommy D

erikgreen

Captain
Re: Any Fiberglas boats WITHOUT wood in the transom?

Inboard boats typically don't have a wood core transom... since the transom is subject to less stress/force, it's usually just fiberglass like the hull is.

There are probably several models of boat that are recent (made after 2000) that don't have wood core transoms... I'm sure people will chime in.

Erik

fish_on_the_deck

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My 2004 Sea Hunt Titon 212 dosent... no wood in the whole thing. The transom is a rot free coosa core. I Had an old Mako 20 before that and wood rot issues killed me. The Seah Hunt rides much better than the Mako too (of course it's a lot deeper V).

Sea Hunt is pretty common around the South East. They are manufactureed in Columbia SC I believe.

I think Sea Hunts have always been wood-free since they started in the 80's or 90's. I'm sure anything post 2000 has been wood-free. I think they are a great value, and I'd buy another one in a heart beat. The layout and design are great... and I picked mine up with an '05 Yamaha F150 this year for less than half what a new one costs.

cpt ron jc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TIDEWATER boats not 1 piece of wood, its a fairly new line check out the 19dc ,i was very impresed when i visited a local dealer,a little steep on the price ,it looks like they are worth it.