Cleaning mooring cover

GaryO

Seaman Apprentice
The mooring cover for my boat REALLY looks nasty and needs a good cleaning after this summer. I checked with the local laundromat to see if they had a washing machine that would handle it, thank goodness they do. What does everyone use for soap/detergent to clean their covers? I plan on coating it with 303 Fabric Guard after its clean and dry.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Cleaning mooring cover

if it is covered with mildew or stains from pollution (like you see on roofs) the washing machine alone wont do anything..place the cover on a cement driveway,spread out best you can, use mildex or any other mold/mildew product..scrub..scrub..soft bristles please..after the mildew stains have dissolved then wash..use mild detergent..its not the fabric that's worrisome its the stitching holding it all ..

stic88

Petty Officer 1st Class

you can always rake it to the car wash and power wash it. they have the detergent and all.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I am with Marine, if you want it really clean spread it out and use a soft bristle brush to scrub it, the best soap I have found for most jobs is regular dish soap, it is mild enough not to hurt anything but it cleans really well.

The washing machine is a little ruff and I woudl worry that it would ruin the water repellency.

djspady

Cadet

If it is Sunbrella, they have instructions on their web site that recommends mild soap and bleach followed by re-waterproofing. It has worked for me and my cover is 10 years old.