I broke off a drain plug

granpafish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, it was bound to happen. New boat, new problem. I was winterizing our new to us, 99 mercruiser 5.0L Mpi and managed to break off the plastic drain plug on the port manifold/riser. It didn't take much pressure to do it and I suspect that it has never been replaced. I was surprised at how delicate these plugs appeared to be. I'll replace them all. At this point I need help in removing the broken piece still in there. Does anyone have an idea on this? It may be possible to see up in there with a mirror but I haven't been back to try yet. If you are familiar with these plugs, you know that they are hollow so getting something (what, I don't know) up into it is a possibilty. I am afraid to get too tricky at this point because I don't want to booger up the threads. Can anyone give me a hand with this? Thanks, Granpa

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer
Re: I broke off a drain plug

Yeah I know the plugs you are talking about. Try using a small flat screw driver and wedging it directly in to the center of it.. You may get it out like that.... <br /><br />T

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

A slight variation of tallman8251’s approach is to heat the head of the screw driver with a torch, gas grill, stove, etc. then press it into the plastic plug and quickly remove it. The end result is a nice slot to insert the screw driver when it cools.<br /><br />If tallman8251’s idea doesn’t work go to your local automotive store and ask for "Screw Extractors". They are also sometimes called "EZ Outs". They look like a drill bit on steroids and are used to extract broken bolts and other threaded items. Tell the counter guy what you are trying to do and he'll hook you up with the correct size. <br /><br />Click Here to see a screw extractor and how to use it.<br /><br />I have removed stripped plastic plugs before and they are a piece of cake compared to a rusted, broken bolt. Hope it’s not too hard to get at. Good Luck!

Bondo

Staff member

Ya, What these guys said......<br />Then Remove the rest of the Plastic Plugs,+ Throw Them Away.......<br />Get yourself a set of Brass Plugs/Drains to replace them......<br />1/4" pipe thread is what you're looking for.....

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class

Grandpa, do you have it out yet? I used a Phillips screwdriver to remove mine. If you get new plastic ones, drill a hole lengthwise through them and fill with RTV then run a stainless screw in from the threaded end. Use one with a large enough head to cover the end and long enough to almost come through the wings on the other end. This will reinforce it. I like the 'wings' myself. They are much easier to remove for draining. Don't forget the 'O' ring. If you don't want plastic the threads are 1/2 x 13. Use short stainless bolts and O rings.

granpafish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks everyone. I haven't been back to the boat yet. (it's 50 miles away) The engine is drained so the big worry is over. I'm sure that using your help I'll get it out. If need be, I'll plug the opening with some pipe dope and duct tape (what else?) until I get some decent weather to work on it. Doesn't look like this weekend is the ticket. Snow, freezing rain, etc. I am definitely taking your advice on upgrading the plugs. It's kind of frightening to think that the health of the entire engine is dependent on these fragile plugs. Thanks again, Granpa

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Gramps,I am a firm believer of "try the easy way first" So being this piece is plastic,go to the shelf in your garage and get the carb cleaner,the brake cleaner,the silicone spray,etc.Some of these sprays will destroy the plastic,some will soften it,some will do nothing at all.Give them all a try and see what happens.It will be next to ZERO effort and I bet one will work.Charlie

edwardh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"I'll plug the opening with some pipe dope and duct tape"<br /><br />this is covered in the factory service manual. Be sure to use marine grade duct tape approved by the yacht Council.