'72 50hp johnson, update, question

jbjennings

Captain
Well,
I finally had to just give up for a while and come back to my old 50horse today......
It had good spark, fuel, and compression but wouldn't hit a lick. After rechecking spark for the 5,000th time, and checking timing, I decided to switch spark plug wires and vrooom, it immediately cranked. The Previous Owner must have switched the coil wires on the terminal block. ....Embarrassed, but glad to have it running......FINALLY!:redface:

Question: How to remove idle needle valve bearing?

Problem #2---system is pulling current with key off. Short somewhere?
I disconnected wires to lower unit, so it's not in the lower unit. Likely places to look?
Thanks for the help so far,
JBJ

jbjennings

Captain
Re: '72 50hp johnson, update, question

Got motor idling pretty nicely today on muffs. No back pressure = no mist out exhaust relief, correct? It has a new impeller, I'm positive the water tube is in correctly, and it's not getting hot.
IT SHIFTS CORRECTLY!!!!:D
Only one problem I foresee that I'd like assistance with---- it's pulling current with the key off, discharging the battery. Any suggestions on where to look for the short?
Thanks,
JBJennings

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '72 50hp johnson, update, question

I would check all the wiring in the harness for shorts to ground. My wiring harness had wires that were dry rotted and cracked. Once I replaced the bad wiring all my electrical problems went away. Also check the ignition switch...it might be bad. Is there a chance that an accessory is being left on?? Depth finder, VHF...ect