Changing the outdrive oil

sestcourt

Cadet
Guys, <br /><br />I need to change the oil used to lower and raise the alpha one outdrive i have. Firstly what oil should i be using and and secondly what do i need to do to get the old stuff out and the new in with out getting an air lock?!

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Changing the outdrive oil

I think the outdrive oil he is referring to is the fluid in the trim / tilt motor. To be honest, I have recieved quite a few different answers as to what kind of oil to use. Some have said to use regular 30 weight motor oil.... others have said to use transmission fluid.... I recently changed mine and bought "trim and tilt" fluid at Wal Mart. (It is clear - looks like power steering fluid). The fluid I took out was red like transmission fluid. It works with both.<br /><br />To replace, I simply removed the plastic tank, cleaned it good and filled it. It bleeds itself with use.

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

You could also use a Mobil 1 10-30 synthetic.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I would first see what is in there now and top it off with the same.Usually you will see trans fluid in them.No need to change unless you have contaminated it somehow,though i cant see how.Charlie

Walt T

Lieutenant

Why do you want to change it?