ford 460 with berkley jet

mtbr00x

Seaman
I did not know exactly where to post this but here goes.

I just bought a glastron cv23 with a ford 460 and 2 holley 600's. the engine runs great at wot and just cruising around and when its cold. After running it for 20-30 mins it will not idle very well. yesterday I was out and after about an hour of putting around we came back in through a long no wake zone and the engine was surging. Does anyone know what might cause both situations. Also sometimes when we turn the key to off, it wont shut off but sometimes it will. assuming this could just be a loose wire. last question. what would be the best impeller to increase the speed on this boat. Tested it with a gps and had it going 52 mph. I thought this boat would do at least 60-65!

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: ford 460 with berkley jet

Here goes some guesses.
Since it runs good cold and not so good warmed up, Id think its running a bit to rich. This assumes that you dont have a choke.
Surging is a lean condition. So there is a contradiction to what I just said.
Im thinking that the carbs may need some work. Twins can be hard to get adjusted so both are doing the same thing. Not the linkage but the actual fuel air mix getting to the engine.
The not shutting off could be the key switch not breaking contact.
As for the impeller, got me. I have no idea...:D

M

mrcrabs

I had experiance with a ford 460 and a electric fuel pump once, would run rich after making a run and at a idle would loadup and I would have to shut off the fuel pump and she would idle smooth, I seem to always have problem with the needle valve sealing or jetting, can't seem to recall, owned to much junk in my life...had a big ole holly I think a 780...to much water under the bridge to remember everything.

Bondo

Staff member

last question. what would be the best impeller to increase the speed on this boat. Tested it with a gps and had it going 52 mph. I thought this boat would do at least 60-65!

Ayuh,.... At what rpms,..??

mtbr00x

Seaman

WOT, Not sure what the rpms are but I can tell that it is maxed out.

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm with the others, you need some carb work. How is the distributor and what kind? Points? You need to get that dialed in, maybe just a basic tuneup, and get the ignition switch sorted out. You also need to get a tach on it so you know what RPM it is actually doing. Even with thru hull exhaust a jet is going to sound maxed out anything above about 3500, you need to know what it is turning now. Then you will need to know the impeller cut before you make any changes. Going to a smaller impeller will result in more RPM's, and maybe a few more MPH, at the expense of holeshot. 52 with a stock engine and a big boat is probably not too far off. Going with a bigger impeller will improve holeshot, however if the engine isn't capable of spinning it you will lose MPH.

scoflaw

Ensign

Your impeller or housing could be worn past the specs. Too much clearance or damaged blade will cost you mph's. Bust out the feeler gages and spec sheet.