Aq271c cranks, starts but no idle

LadyAnya

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I replaced my bad fuel pump and now the engine starts but it will not idle on it's own. I hold the carb open, it revs and then dies as soon as the ignition switch moves from start to on. Is this more a mechanical issue or electrical?

The carb is an edlebrock 1406, I bought it this way. I know it's not marine, but it start and idle, I believe.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Aq271c cranks, starts but no idle

Sounds electrical.
Hook a jumper wire from the positive battery terminal to the + terminal on the coil and see if it will keep running and idle.

LadyAnya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just tried it with a jumper wire and there is a loud popping sound when it's connected directly? Is this normal? I didn't try starting it yet, justo to be cautious.

Don S

No, a loud popping sound is not normal. I have no idea what caused that, but something isn't right.
Time to get out a meter or test light and start tracking power from the ignition switches purple wire to the coil. May have a fuse near the ignition switch. Whatever is popping probably blew the fuse. Without actually hearing it myself, I have no idea what it is or where it's coming from or what to tell you to do or try next.

LadyAnya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will start tracking it down. My coil seems like it is leaking fluid at the top, does this mean replacement?

Don S

Yes, you need a new coil. That may be what is popping.

LadyAnya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just noticed it was starter that was going off, when I would connect it directly. Why would the starter go off?

Bondo

Staff member

Why would the starter go off?

Ayuh,... Because it's gettin' Power, when it Shouldn't be...