Turbo Charged 3.0 mercruiser

rokcrlr

Cadet
Anyone know anything about 3.0 turbo charged mercruisers.I just bought one today at an auction. It's in a 1981 champion bass boat and appears to be factory, but it sounds like it's not, from reading an earleier post last nite on this subject. The engine cowl has provisions for the turbo and doesn't appear to be modified.Water line to turbo housing for cooling?. Turbo bolts to the top of exhaust manifold and plumbing for the exhaust.Anyone else seen one of these. I can't find an ignition swicth on it either. It has been sitting for about 4 years, anything I should be looking for as far as seals and such being bad in the outdrive?

rokcrlr
View Public Profile
Send a private message to rokcrlr
Find all posts by rokcrlr

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Turbo Charged 3.0 mercruiser

Interesting -- since the engine is water cooled, the cooling water passes through the exhaust manifold, and therefore that cooling water would need to pass through the turbocharger which would tend to destroy it in a heartbeat. Engine discharge water whould therefore need to bypass the turbo and as a result under cowl temps would tend to be very high ---- which is why the rig has sat for four years. I wish you luck.

fishrdan

Admiral

I wouldn't doubt Mercruiser played with some sort of forced induction on a 3.0, just look at the failed Vazer, a lot more money into that project. He might have got a hold of a "skunkworks" boat of some sort. The turbo would need to be water cooled and since the manifold has water flowing through it, it could be easily done, just need some custom castings and machine work.

Or he might have bought something with one of those aftermarket turbo's for the 3.0, think they were available in the 70's.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Rokcrlr,

Can you post some pictures of what you bought?

Bondo

Staff member

and appears to be factory,

Ayuh,... The Boat might be factory, but the Turbo is Not Mercruiser factory...

rokcrlr

Cadet

Rokcrlr,

Can you post some pictures of what you bought?

I'll see what I can do later tonite, not very good at getting pics onto forums.

I have since got alittle more info. It appears it is a M&W turbo kit,but the engine cover confused me as it has a factory appearing hump and vent for the turbo built in. The turbo "housing" is water cooled. The water passes thru a passage in the turbo exhaust housing, not thru the turbo, then exits into the lower exhaust. Now if only I can find a ignition switch for this thing to see if it runs or I part it out.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You don't need an ignition switch just to run it. Hook up your battery to the engine nomally. Then use a jumper wire from the + terminal of the coil to the battery positive terminal that is now your ignition switch for run.
For start, either jump the solenoid on the starter or the slave solenoid or look at this thread.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=183904

rokcrlr

Cadet

Thanks Don, I forgot about doing it that way, must be getting old. However I found a toggle that seems to turn everything on. As soon as I get a hose hookup for the outdrive ,I'm going to see if this thing runs, Also have to get the old gas out of the tanks.

Bondo

Staff member

Also have to get the old gas out of the tanks

Ayuh,... Plumb in a remote tank for Testing...
As soon as I get a hose hookup for the outdrive

Plumb your garden hose to the t-stat housing,...
Just remember you'll have to change the impeller, later...

rokcrlr

Cadet

Well haven't started it yet:(,Been trying to figure out wireing. However I guess it isn't a 3.0 has the intake and exhaust are on differant sides.So now all I know is I have a black 4 cylinder mercruiser as there are no tags left on the engine,maybe a penta, but I don't know anything about either.Looks like it could be a 470-185hp? Saw a picture of this engine and it looks just like it,fuel pump looks identical and ditsributer.

rokcrlr

Cadet

Ok learning more, This is an aluminim block engine so it's the 470-488 engine? That is suppose to have the closed cooling system on it with a heat exchanger. Well it doesn't have a heat exchanger anymore, it's been replumbed to cool from the outside water(lake). It this going to be a problem running it this way?