Evinrude 150 Newbie Question

stratos92

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a question regarding top end speed. I have a 92 stratos fish and ski with an evinrude 150. I had it out to the river today and it topped out at about 48 mph on the dash speedometer (2 people, 3 batteries, etc in the boat). Is this about right? Somebody told me I should get 60-65 out of this boat/motor. Seemed to run good until I decided the gas gauge must be wrong and ran out of gas...wife will never let me live that down! Went through 10 gals of gas running up and down the river in a little over an hour...WOW! We were pretty "on the throttle" most of the time though. The learning curve to boating is sure steep!

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Evinrude 150 Newbie Question

8 to 10 gallons of fuel per hour at full throttle is about right, maybe even more than that with the load you had. Many things will effect your top speed but I think 48 is very close to max. You could try a tune up but I doubt you'll gain much more unless you are alone in the boat.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Since it sounds like this boat is "new to you"..... you might want to check the weight too. 60-65 might have been the case when it was new but I would expect mid 50's...... you could be carrying a few hundred pounds of water in the hull (absorbed in the flotation) and I would first weigh it.... then investigate further.

Any history with the motor? Last de-carb and tune up?

Oh yeah....... DO NOT rely on those dash speedometer's which can be notoriously inaccurate ;)

stratos92

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not sure about a tune up. I know the carbs were cleaned and compression checked out good right before I picked it up, but not sure about anything else. What all is involved in a complete tune up? The guy I bought it from said it sat for about 2 years before I bought it but the mechanic said everything checked out good.
I am planning to change out all of the fuel lines and put in a fuel water separator this winter, but not sure what else I should do. The boat seemed to run pretty good and got up on plane quickly. I need to learn how to trim the motor better for the best performance, but I am still learning...that is for sure.
This forum has been great and has answered alot of questions. 45 mph is good with me...just wasn't sure if something was severely wrong when I was told 60-65 mph.