interlux perfection orange peel problem

jherlyn

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have just started spray painting with interlux perfection and found out after putting down two coats of lauderdale blue that I am using the wrong size tip and creating an orange peel texture.

So being one to want to do things right, i went to start sanding down the orange peel texture to try again, and thought it was smooth because it feels smooth.

but I went to wipe down with 2333n and found that in certain spots once wetted it still looks like it has orange peel (the way it still reflects the sun)

So now i have decided that I need to do something about it. my question is about what to do next. I have extra primer for two more coats of primer and I have enough blue to start over. with the minute amount of texture left (very tiny but will still be noticable through perfection) if I were to spray a new primekote and sand smooth would that cover up the texture, or will I have to sand all of the blue to solve my problem. My thought is that the primer will build over the texture and give me a new flat surface to work on.

Please help

Re: interlux perfection orange peel problem

JH,

Welcome to iBoats. I used Perfection on my boat also. Same color too. Orange peel from spraying usually indicates wrong thinner or too much thinner. You can sand it out but it takes some effort. You will probably have to drop down to like 150 grit and sand most of the blue off. Sorry, no easy fix with this stuff.

BTW I sure hope you are using the proper safety gear and fully enclosed spray booth. Perfection contains isocyanides. Very deadly if airborne.

jherlyn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so I have to take all the way back down to white. that sucks. I thought it was the wrong tip. I used a 1.4 mm tip, and from what I understand the smallest recommended tip for polyurethane paints is 1.8. They actually recommend to go bigger. As for the thinner, sprayed with recommended amount and without thinning at all, same texture both times. I think it has to do with the tip/mix/air setup on the gun.

I just thought with waht little texture is left that primer would cover it up and sand smooth. I mean seriously you don't see the texture unless you wet with water. It looks fine dry. But the "wet look" of the paint is going to highlight it ten fold.

Please, any more info would help.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I had this same problem with prerfection on a boot stripe.

I followed the thinning ( I think it was 10% max I even called Interlux to make sure ) I used 1.4m tip on a binks.

Before I even shot it I was thinking that ITS way to dam thick ! I mean thick like gel.

So I shot it and turned out like spraying gel lol ( I knew it..)

I wiped it off with acetone right away.

Called up Interlux again .. told them what happened then another guy said for spraying I could reduce up to 25% ( 10% was for roll and tip he said ).

I reprimed and shot it with Imron in the end.

Your not going to get a mirror finish with a huge tip I doubt.

Call up Interlux and Ask again and again till there sure that everything your using and doing is per spec on the paint.

Im sure you could just prime again then paint ( as long as your first coat is sticking well ).

GL.

YD.

jherlyn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So I sanded down until most of the orange peel was gone and just shot a new coat of primer. It looks like the primer is going to cover up whats left of the texture like i said very faint you have to catch the light just right to see whats left. Anyway....

I tried thinning the primekote down more than the recommended 25% and went to around 35% instead. It shot alot better, but this round I don't think I shot enough material. The specs from interlux say something like 250cc of material a minute but that sounds like way to much. is it supposed to be a consistent coat with a little see through of the old coat? What I have now are sections where you can kind of see the old color because the paint is speckled (without texture) because I don't think there is enough material there.

Still learning, but I think I am damn close this time because the corners where you naturally have more material are drying smooth even with the primekote.

Any more advice from your adventure into this yacht doctor would be helpful.

bcddd214

Banned

I have a howto on professional grade repairs on fiberglass at EDIT
but it sounds like you have a whole slue of problems going on.

First off, your tip is fine. the only difference between a 1.0 and a 1.8 is that a 1.0 can let a LOT of flake run through it.

Your issue is with viscosity and air pressure. GUARANTEED!

13 drops from the stick and 55 lbs at the tip.
Standard rules
you loose 2.5 to 3 lbs every 10 ft of air hose so your air pressure gauge is useless if it is attached to the machine directly and not the gun.
Your better off with flipping a quarter or cranking that puppy full blast which will waste a ton of paint but it WILL hit flat.

Know the difference, "flat" for a painter does not mean satin, it means 'flat like a pancake flat'.
orange peel is the opposite of flat............
it has to come from the gun fast and wet to be flat.

spray a light mist coat of nasty electric orange or puke electric green chrylon paint on the boat and sand with either 220 or 150 grit till the nasty chrylon is COMPLETELY GONE. You have to get rid of ALL the jacked up orange peel. There is zero way around this part. just labor tears and a promise to ones self to not be so foolish the next time.

My website has some pretty detailed info. no reason to retype it here.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

sschefer

Rear Admiral

The previous post has it nailed. The recommended method for sprayed perfection is using a pressure pot rig. You can use just about anything with 1 part Brightside and come out looking good but Perfection is a different story.

I'm suprised they didn't tell you that when you talked to them. They were adament about it when I called. I did the roll and tip instead of spending a couple of grand on a new spray rig and fresh air breathing system.

bcddd214

Banned

The greatest gun EVER is the Binks 2001 "non HVLP".
had a 1.45 tip and threw more paint into the air than on the boat but did a gorgeous job.
Gosh darn environmentally conscious people. The best toys always do the worst damage....
A little bit of lead never hurt anyone,,,,, too bad.. :p

jherlyn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the help, like I said, I think I got the texture gone, I just need a little more experience with the gun. I will get there.

Spray pot, interesting. I will remember that the next time. but this aint no show boat, so I think I will try to get it with a gravity feed gun instead.

Thanks everybody for your help.

bcddd214

Banned

Gravity is fine as long as you are 55lbs at the tip! :)
Thanks for the help, like I said, I think I got the texture gone, I just need a little more experience with the gun. I will get there.

Spray pot, interesting. I will remember that the next time. but this aint no show boat, so I think I will try to get it with a gravity feed gun instead.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Just one thing. Perfection was formulated for DYIers and for roll and tip. Although you can spray it really wasn't designed for that purpose. So if you want to spray go with another paint like awlgrip or something along that line. It will behave a little more predicable. Good luck and keep us posted on how you made out.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I also recall something about perfection has to be sanded between coats.

Im allmost sure that you can spray a medium tack..wait about 1hr then spray one final wet coat ( just to cover/hide ). This should flow as long as its reduced enough.

55lbs of air at the tip would be for conventional guns ( with alot of overspray ). HVLP guns your going to have to play with to make your fan and atomization correct.

Good Luck.

YD.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I also recall something about perfection has to be sanded between coats.

Im allmost sure that you can spray a medium tack..wait about 1hr then spray one final wet coat ( just to cover/hide ). This should flow as long as its reduced enough.

55lbs of air at the tip would be for conventional guns ( with alot of overspray ). HVLP guns your going to have to play with to make your fan and atomization correct.

Good Luck.

YD.

Perfection is formulated to be applied using the roll and tipped method. The folks at Interlux don't recommend spraying it and even though the product instructions give the specs for a proper HPLV gun, they do not recommend it.

You are correct about shooting a tack coat then a full coat. That would be considered the first coat. The second coat is applied using the finger print test method. If you touch it and it doesn't leave a print then it's time to shoot the next coat so that they will merge together. That doesn't mean waiting for a week and not leaving a print. It means that you watch it closely and as soon as the fresh coat passes the print test, start shooting the next coat.

If you want to sand between coats then you have to wait a minimum of 24 hours between coats in a controlled environment. Temp and humidity changes will have an effect on the amount of time you have to wait.

In short, spraying the stuff in a non-professional environment is really tough to do.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Just one thing. Perfection was formulated for DYIers and for roll and tip. Although you can spray it really wasn't designed for that purpose. So if you want to spray go with another paint like awlgrip or something along that line. It will behave a little more predicable. Good luck and keep us posted on how you made out.

Very true.... I cant tell you why im not a chemist but it is impossilbe to get perfection to atomize at reasonable low flow rates. You can get it to atomize but the pressure is extreme and the flow rate is ....shall i say unreasonable..aka one pass with a 8' fan over 20' would take about 3seconds....:D

I have said this over and over in this forum. Roll out the paint with a closed cell foam roller for 3 minutes. Then go back and flatten the stipple with the same roller. It will leave a very minute nap that will flatten like glass. As with any paint just make sure the nap is uniform and no runs.

Admittedly this is walking somewhat of a fine line between a wet roll and tack time..THE BIG 3 MINUTE LAG...It will take 3-4 layers to build to a final finsih and each layer you will learn how the paint flows and tac's up.

One tid bit..after 24hrs be feady to sand or scuff off imperfections. THe paint is still soft and will flake off like chalk at this stage...That makes for easy and controllable sanding

JAmi016.jpg

I did not come up with this method....my wife did...and no you cant ask why. But if your a painter that reflection you see the van is 60' away. It works with uncanny results...even for a novice...Notice the tape lines...:D

One more with BrightSides...Little role reversal to...:D

JAmi004-1.jpg

And always use 2333n flow solvent..for perfection

jherlyn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry i haven't had a chance to post in awhile.....busy.

anyway, your roll and roll again method might work wonderful....for that nice flat smooth side of that boat, but the surface I am painting has alot of corners and architecture. So much that even the conventional rolling and tipping method would not produce good results. I am not an idiot. I am spraying because there are no other options to achieve the results I want.

As for awlgrip, two things. More expensive and I have already bought the perfection. So I guess I will have to try the unreasonable flow rates, because I don't see any other method working.

As for my problem, I think that it was a combination of not enough reducing solvent and not putting enough material through the gun, because I sprayed the primekote with a VERY different technique and it dried almost perfectly smooth. That surprised me because it is epoxy, and it seems like everybody in this forum has problems getting it to lay down, even with spraying.

I am spraying my first color coat tonight, so we will see what my results are.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Not sure what you're up against but for the type of conditions you describe, the brush and tip method works well also. I used it in my transom area where I could't fit a roller and it came out nice. It's more time consuming though.

jherlyn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So I got done painting and.....like glass baby!

The secret is in the thinning and the amount of spraying. Interlux's spraying technique instructions are merely a guideline, you have to match this stuff to your gun pretty complexly.

however it is doable, and you do walk a FINE FINE line between "perfection" and frustrating "slamming your paintgun against the wall several times till it breaks" runs.

and you do know when you hit that perfect window because the paint hits the boat and you see the spray texture but it immediately, and I mean immediately lays down flat. If it doesn't, then its gonna be noticable when it dries, and you have a problem. And just like with roll and tip, DO NOT lose your "wet edge" becuase then you will see your spray starts and stops.

Just thought I would let people who are interested in spraying this stuff know.