VHF-650 vs SH GX1500S ?

dogdad

Cadet
Hi ?

This is my first question one of these forum-things, so please be gentle if I am doing it wrong.

I can get a West Marine VHF-650 for about the same price as a Standard Horizon GX1500S on close-out, and am in a quandry as to which I should jump for. Features are just about the same, and the sales-guy said the 1500 is a ?better? radio (but didn?t/couldn?t elaborate why).

I?m leaning towards the 1500 too, but am concerned that the channel-knob has almost no detent-positions. In other words, it has a rotary dial-knob, instead of the up-down buttons like on the 650, but not much of a positive stop between the channels (kinda like an 68 Mustang car-radio). This is my hang-up, that I going to always miss my channel and have to fiddle back-and-forth with it.

It's the only 1500 they have, so I can't compare it to another radio, or even a different brand.

Does anyone else have a 1500, and is it the nature of the beast or is there something wrong with this knob that would make me go for the VHF-650 instead?

Thanks.

jhebert

Ensign
Re: VHF-650 vs SH GX1500S ?

I have a Standard-Horizon GX1500S radio.

I find it easy to change channels using the rotary channel selector knob. I strongly prefer the channel selection to be performed using a rotary knob, especially compared with radios that use UP-DOWN push buttons.

Standard-Horizon radios are my preference because:

--the transmitter modulation is very good
--the user interface is simple to understand
--the price is generally lower than other brands for radios of comparable features
--the technical support is excellent

Standard-Horizon has been a leader in digital selective calling (DSC). The GX1500S radio is a DSC CLASS-D rated radio. This is the minimum radio qualification recommended by the United States Coast Guard.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

First Welcome to the Board.
I also like the rotary knob better. You will get to your channel much quicker.
You did not say where in the country you are located.
If your in and area where you have Coast Guard Station or will boat in an area with Coast Guard Stations then buy a radio that has DSC CLASS D.

This will soon be required (March 2011) for all new radio sales.

dogdad

Cadet

Thanks for your input.

I played with both of them for awhile, and finally decided that I did like the rotary dial better than a push-button dial, and that the very-soft detents on the GS1500 rotary dial would drive me nuts. Only other radio with positive-detents was the Standard horizon GX2000, which is what I just bought.

I start cutting holes today ;-)