Stalling - No Spark

ab1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thought I had a fuel issue but I'm dropping spark to all cylinders. Motor will start fine cold and usually runs ok. Sometimes it will stall at idle, just simply shut down. Other times it will stall at or near WOT. When it does this it either just simply shuts down or cuts in and out a couple of times before dying. Yesterday it did this and I plugged a spark tester into the top two holes and could not see any spark. Also middle hole on starboard no spark. The others I couldn't see while testing myself but assume they were dead too.
When the motor dies, it is very hard to get restarted. It will turn over and everything, but not fire. After a bit, it will usually fire back up again and may run fine or run for a bit and then die. Yesterday when I found the no spark I left the tester hooked up and tried it every 10 mins or so. At one point the tester lit up and the motor fired like it suddenly regained spark.

93 150GLETR

1. It was suggested I have a bad power pack, any way to test this easily? Anything else I should replace while in there? Any other culprits this could be?
2. The pack on it is omc part number 584910. Is this the one I should put back on it? There appears to be several packs for this style motor, and then apparently CDI made some improvements that would allow timing without the special tool, among other things.

So, go with a 584910, or find the CDI part equivalent, or something else? Which would you prefer, or are they exactly the same?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stalling - No Spark

I've heard from the "vines" that a lot of OEM parts are now built by CDI.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

My old Johnson would do the Identical thing yours is doing... Replaced the power pack.. Worked perfect after that... I ordered it from the internet.. It was aftermarket but they claimed it to be better(shoot it was cheaper) .. I wish I could remember the company... I will try and find out... Update CDI electronics but I see you been looking there already...:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

CDI makes better electronics, worth the little extra.

ab1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys...is there anything else that they suggest replacing along with the pack?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Possibly the OSI sensor along with the pack.