Is this boat worth buying?

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I am looking at a 1995 Hydra Sports 205 Fish N Ski, it come with a Evinrude 1996 200hp OB. The owner mantion that one piston has problem atlease that is what the marine shop told him and that it cost $3000 to fix it. so he is selling his boat for $2000. The boat can run now but the top speed is about 50mph, and he mention when the boat was working perfect it can goes to 75mhp.

I am thinking about getting it but I have not touch an evinrude OB before. I do have some exprerance on Force OB and jet ski 2 stroke motor......... I wonder if it is easy to get this boat fix myself. And if $2000 is worth it.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Is this boat worth buying?

Re-building a 200 hp is quite an undertaking but if you are up to the task it sounds tempting (to me at least). Maybe you'll get lucky and it won't need a total re-build, then you would be ahead of the game.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You will spend about $1500 in parts plus machine shop labor to repair. The engine will need the cooling mod to "live" as these motor are known for piston locating pin failures(likely the problem now). Anytime I rebuild a customers 200/225 it gets water mod and 6 NEW pistons as you cannot look at a used piston and tell if pin is tight, but have seen the pin out to the edge..

http://www.mar-fab.com/MarFab_Tech_Bulletins_D9579.pdf

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1995 Hydra Sports 205 Fish N Ski
With engine about to blow.

15 year old boat and trailer. $2,000
14 year old troubled motor ($3,000)

he should pay you, to haul $1,000
it away.

SparkieBoat

Captain

LOL Tash,
If the boat and trailer are in good condition I would think 1500 would be a fair price, then pick up a good used 175 HP around ($2500)..sell or keep the 200 for parts..(around $500-600)..you will get better fuel mileage with the 175 and almost as much speed, you will also save some weight.

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class

I doubt the 75 mph number, but that is just my 2 cents

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I think 50mph is plenty fast enough for any boat to travel, unless it's for competition. Keep the waterways safe. Keep the speed down:eek::eek:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I doubt the 75 mph number, but that is just my 2 cents

Depends on how fast you drive your tow vehicle!!!! A 205 F&S with 200 with 24 pitch prop ...high sixtys as windsheilds act like elevator on a plane and keeps nose down.

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the input, i think i will just pass it. by thw way the NADA said it is worth $5500 if working.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Faztbullet, I really missed something. What's the "cooling mod" you are talking about here ?? Thanks.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

It for closed deck blocks only and its consists of drilling large water passage holes from under rectifier area to increase water flow in cylinder area and 3/8 water dividers installed in block like the ficht cooling system. Improves water flow around cylinder "jugs" and cools exhaust side better. I have all my blocks modified by Mar-Fab or myself ...

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Thank you very much Faztbullet. As Daddy used to say "you learn something new every day". I learned something new today. Thanks again.