Volvo penta 4 bangers

snobdr

Seaman
Im in need of some outdrive parts. Theres a local selling a complete engine/outdrive combo. Im not sure of the engine. Hard to tell from pictures. It does seem to have the old cooling setup on it. Anyway are there any of the 4 bangers that are better then others? Any that are more desirable? Any that should stay away from. Most likely i will take what i need for the outdrive and part out the rest. Id like to know a bit more on the engine side so i know what its worth

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo penta 4 bangers

Volvo used it own automotive base engines for many years. They started out with basic pushrod raw water cooled engines. They were simple and reliable, using model numbers like AQ100,AQ115, etc. the last of which and most common was the AQ130. In the late 70's they switched to overhead cam, fresh water cooled engines with a heat exchanger and antifreeze filled blocks, using model numbers starting with aq120b, AQ125, AQ145, AQ131,151... They used those engines up to the early 90s. Often referred to a rubber band engines because of the timing belt. These were also good engines.

Hope that helps.:)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here's a list of all the Volvo based engines that Volvo used prior to 94 when they started using the GM 3.0L engine in place of their Volvo engines.
Some are single carb, some have two, there are DOHC and SOHC engines.
All the OHC engines where about the same as far as reliability goes.

Volvo4cyl60-93.jpg

snobdr

Seaman

Yes that does some. It has the heat exchanger so one from the list. Were any more popular then the others? Im really trying to figure out how much of a market there is for the parts.

zbnutcase

Commander

The OHC single down-draft carb is the most popular around here(NW)