15R74G Carb Problems

We're Here

Seaman Apprentice
Johnson 15R74G came with a boat I bought. It runs at high rpm then dies. I doubt it's been used for at least a few years.

1. The needle is stuck. I mean jammed in there stuck. How do I get it out?

2. The float valve is intact, but is obviously close to original. Should I just replace it?

3. What is the best way to clean a pretty clean looking carb? Should I get the kit if I don't think it needs it?

If these questions were previouslyanswered, and I missed it in my search, sorry.

Rick.

Captain
Re: 15R74G Carb Problems

You can get a new kit here at Iboats. I would strongly recommend it if your needle is stuck. Best method is to soak the carb. in cleaner overnight, Spray every orifice from every direction with spray carb. cleaner and then spray them all again with compressed air. The needle will have a packing gland nut around it. Loosen the nut completely and then try it again. The needle may well be buggered and they are expensive. Some have had good luck re-dressing them. Here is a great (must read IMO) site for 15 and 9.9 owners. Best of luck. Rick.

http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Ramblings.html

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

If I recall, that needle just threads in on a plastic retainer piece. At the other end is a plastic bearing that resembles a very small plastic funnel. I can't imagine what it would be jammed on that would make it so stuck. I can't even see it jamming into the hole at the other end but if it did your carb may be toast. Maybe a previous owner glued it in there or cranked it in with a set of pliers. We certainly hope not.

When you get it out, take a close look at the tip of the needle and if it is deformed or not perfectly tappered, you should get a new one. They are kind of expensive, so do your best to determine if the inside end of that carb jet is not damaged in some way. I doubt it would work very well if it is. Others might know.

We're Here

Seaman Apprentice

I'll soak and blow it with air over the weekend, and check out the link.

When I tried to loosen the idle adjuster, it was on there awfully tight, and when it finally backed out the needle was left behind. Who knows what happened before I got it. There isn't much room to go fishing around for the needle, and I don't think I have a tool skinny enough to reach in and try to grab it.

I appreciate your great advice, and I'll keep you posted. Pete

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

Are we both talking about the slow speed carburetor adjustment needle? If so, it is about 3 inches long and is a continuous piece of brass. I don't see how it could be left in the carbs jet since the jet is probably only about 1.5 inches long.

You're not talking about the knob of the needle coming off leaving the needle in there, are you? That is normal. All you do is remove the carburetor and then grab the needle with your fingers and unscrew it out. It should never be too tight since it is supposed to move to give you adjustment capability. If the air silencer is preventing it from coming off just put the knob back on the needle and lightly screw it in a little, until the air silencer can clear the needle. You do need to twist the air silencer in a few directions to get it off.

We're Here

Seaman Apprentice

OptsyEagle, yes. I wasn't very clear. It's labled as "0432781 Needle Valve" on the schematic. The silver needle had seperated from the brass machined shaft (mine isn't one piece). I soaked it per Rick's advice, and wiggled it periodically with a toothpick until I was able to free the needle. When I flushed with carb cleaner, lots of cork bits (from the float?) floated out. It was stuck in there good.

I'm new to this, if you couldn't tell, and prone to asking dumb questions. :D

Thanks for your advice. It helped a great deal. Pete