Locating fuel filter???

stratos92

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am a new boater, just bought my first boat...a 92 stratos fish and ski with a 150 hp evinrude. I am in the process of draining the fuel tank since the previous owner said it sat for a while. He had the carbs cleaned before I bought it so I thought I should swap out the fuel. I would like to change the fuel filter before taking it to the river fishing on Saturday and I have what I am sure most will say is a dumb question.

Here it is...I cannot find the fuel filter. I looked in the compartment where the fuel tank is located and I see the fuel line with the bulb, but no filter. A friend told me to remove the motor hood and it would be right there and nothing. Any assistance you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Locating fuel filter???

may not have one. add a fuel/water separator to you system. best mounted in the splash well.

etracer68

Ensign

I agree with Tashasdaddy, add a, filter/ water seperater. There not hard to install, but is a good idea to replace all the fuel lines. If you trace your fuel line to the pump, and dont see one, you may not have one. From what I understand, you can get a new fuel filter/seperator at Walmart for under $30.00.

stratos92

Petty Officer 3rd Class

When installing the fuel/water separator, will it go between the tank and the pump ball or the pump ball and the motor?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You want it as close to the tank as possible. The water separating function works on gravity, so you want it level and as stable as possible. It's best to locate it as close to the centerline of the boat as practical.

fishcrazy101

Cadet

Here is a diagram of a 92 150 hp rude and item #35 shows a filter. mine is just like it and easy to get to. Check it to see if it needs cleaned. I would strongly recommend replacing the fuel lines and putting on a fuel/water filter seperator. Im new to boat ownership and that seems to be the only thing you can read on any forums if you have any age on your boat. Here is the diagram link:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/B...ENC 1992/FUEL BRACKET & COMPONENTS/parts.html

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

When you add a full-sized water separating fuel filter, you should eliminate the in-line filter so that you don't overburden your fuel pump. Redundant filters don't help.

stratos92

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you to all of you guys for the info. I have been unable to find an inline filter so far.

Fishcrazy101...thanks for the diagram. I will look where the fuel line comes into the motor tonight and see if there is a filter there.

I ordered a fuel/water separator today and it should be in tomorrow. I am hoping to get the boat out on the water saturday to do some fishing. Maybe I can get the separator put on tomorrow night or Sunday after fishing. Thanks again for all of your help.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Ezeke are you saying you should remove the filter on the VST when installing a water sep filter ?