IM stuck volvo penta 275

snobdr

Seaman
Im working on restoring my boat. I need to get the transom shield off to check the transom. Motor is out and the outdrive is off. The 6 bolts to the bellhousing are rusted and stuck. The 4 bolts to the exhaust riser are removed but the ex will not budge. The trim motor is unbolted but also frozen. The water line nuts are off but it is also frozen.Ive used crc on everything.
Is there a trick to removing these things? Any help is appreciated.

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: IM stuck volvo penta 275

Quite common for exhaust tube to corrode into the transom shield, you may have to heat it with a torch, same with water line. The six carrage bolt nuts can simply be cut off with a cut-off wheel.

snobdr

Seaman

The six nuts on the transom shield or ok i can get to those. The six that hold the bellhousing to the transom shield are the ones that are a problem.

captmello

Captain

The six nuts on the transom shield or ok i can get to those. The six that hold the bellhousing to the transom shield are the ones that are a problem.

The retaining collar on the outdrive side of the transom has some additional threaded holes in it. If you take a couple of the bolts and thread them into those holes and tighten down the bolt, it should jack the retaining ring off, hopefully loosening your flywheel cover. Much like removing your steering helmet pin.

Hope we are talking about the same thing.:rolleyes:

Good luck with your project, keep up updated on your progress.

zbnutcase

Commander

Ah..those 6 bolts...can be a real pain, and sometimes you just gotta cut, drill, or grind the heads off...not fun

snobdr

Seaman

Yea im with ya on the not fun part. I made the mistake of saying how easy the engine came out. Im used to working on airplanes which are always a pain.
Well i have enuff out of the way to get started on ripping the deck out. Have to wait to get out tanks back for the torch.
Seems like the best way is heat and cool and repeat till it comes loose.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

For the tilt assembly, some gentle coaxing with a pipe wrench on the cast housing will work to break it loose. Mine came with "bit marks" allready on it!

adeneo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For the tilt assembly, some gentle coaxing with a pipe wrench on the cast housing will work to break it loose.

Used to do this in the old days, and broke quite a few mounting flanges on the housings. These days replacement parts for the old tilt motors are so expensive and increasingly harder to find, so now I remove the little piston and rod that lifts the outdrive, and knock the housing out from the outside of the transom assembly with a suitable pipe, without damaging the threads on the end.
I have a large box somewhere with housings where the bottom threads or the mounting flanges have broken off, and sometimes they will break due to corrosion no matter what you do, but the pipe wrench is asking for it, although it works sometimes.

snobdr

Seaman

On the trim i pulled out the 2 bolts holdong it in from the top. How does the foot come off? And the threads you talk about, are they on the inside of the bottom or threads that hold the whole trim system in the transom shield? Can you take a pic for me of the unit out so i know whats there?
Thanks

adeneo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There's a rod that goes in and out, that lifts the outdrive, this rod has threads inside the tilt mechanism and on the end where there's a sealing nut, give the little piston on the end of the rod a few careful knocks, and try twisting the housing with a pipe wrench. It usually comes out then.

There's a little white plastic thingy that holds the tilt mechanism in place, and they usually get stuck, add corrosion and they can be hard to remove.

I've broken the round flange that the bolts go through a few times, and bent the pipe going up from that flange by just trying to twist it loose.
I just wanted to tell you to be really careful when twisting it, as it's always really expensive to break the housing. You'll figure it out.

Try asking Don, as he has these nice drawings of everything, and can probably explain it better than I can, as english is not my first language.